cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 VPN - Connects but no access

SouthEastMike
Level 1
Level 1

We recently moved our network over to RV082 router and its working great, well now we want to take advantage of VPN for our sales staff.

I was able to setup the VPN and using a PC at a remote office I can launch the quick connect and it connects right away, RV0 even shows the user connected. However the user cannot ping anything on our network via name or IP, connect to any resources, etc...

My understanding was when the client VPN would connect the user would get an IP from DHCP (this is on our Server 2008 DC) and they would be using that address, but when I run IPCONFIG on the client PC they just have there standard IP from remote office.

Any ideas or recommendations?

8 Replies 8

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. I apologize for your inconvenience you are having, it sounds like the windows firewall setup, I will share with you a document explaining how to set the firewall.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29399

I hope you find this answer useful.

Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Ok I followed your steps and I am getting the same results. I am able to connect and establish the VPN (says it is up and even shows my user online in the router config menu) but I cannot ping anything on our network from remote users PC. I cant even ping the LAN address of the RV082 they are connected to.

Actually let me add one more thing, after an uninstall and re-install of the QVPN client I was able to connect and I see my DNS updated with a new entry (172.16.80.1 - this is the IP of my RV082).

I was then able to ping the address of my RV082 from client PC and even open the web interface of the RV082. The issue I have is nothing on my network that users will need to access is on the 172.16.80.X network, we run a class B subnet so most users will need to access devices on 172.16.0.X or 172.16.100.X.

What can I do to get them past this 80.X network?

I think a network map or a drawing of your layout would help.  Remove/replace any IPs that are sensitive.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I would need to do a lot of work in order to pull data off for compliance. But here it is in a nutshell

Internet > RV082 Router > Core Switch

Our core switch then branches off to other switches. We have 18 servers, 2 of them balance DHCP handing out class B IP's (172.16.10.X/255.255.0.0). We have 90% of our servers on 172.16.100.x and then some on 172.16.0.X and 172.16.200.X.

The RV082 IP is 172.16.80.1, but has a custom subnet address of 172.16.250.253/255.255.0.0 (this is what we use for Gateway on DHCP and internet for any static IP mappings).

I need the VPN clients to be able to traverse at least the 172.16.10.X, 172.16.100.X and 172.16.0.X networks.

Wow, you've got a lot going on there.

I think the reason it's not working is that the rv042 can only handle class c routing.  So even though the clients are connecting to the vpn, the rv042 can only route the traffic to the 176.16.80.x subnet.

Is the rv042 in gateway or router mode?

It is in Gateway mode, still dont fully understand the diffrence between modes.

I figured the issue was QVPN was dropping my clients onto 80.X network with class C addresses. Just trying to find out if there is anyway I can get traffic also to pass to other subnets I have.

You and me both, lol.  I think in gateway mode, it does NAT while in router mode, it does not.  Something tells me you need it set to router mode.  Then it might just start working.  What other routers do you have on the network?  I'm sure there's some static routes you can add that should get it working the way you want.