cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W traffic from WLAN not routed to WAN

Johannes Kingma
Level 1
Level 1

Traffic from my WLAN is not routed to WAN.

I can access LAN and connect to all NE on the LAN. But access to internet is not possible. Access from LAN to WAN is allowed.

I've reset the RV180w to factory settings and also reflashed the firmware to  make sure.

Is it required to configure a static route from wlan to wan?

The routing table the the RV180 generated

DestinationGatewayGenmaskMetricRefUseInterfaceTypeFlags
127.0.0.1127.0.0.1255.255.255.255100loStaticUP,Gateway,Host
172.16.0.00.0.0.0255.255.254.0000bdg1DynamicUP
85.0.84.00.0.0.0255.255.252.0000eth1DynamicUP
127.0.0.00.0.0.0255.0.0.0000loDynamicUP
0.0.0.085.0.84.10.0.0.0000eth1DynamicUP,Gateway
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pete,

I read your cases, it appears that the issue is not related. What I am referring to is an external AP plugged in to the RV180W when wireless is enabled on the RV180W. The devices that connect to the AP will not be able to reach the internet. If the radio on the RV180W is disabled, then the devices that connect to the AP can connect to the internet.

- Marty

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Johannes,

There is a known issue with the RV180W that causes it to block traffic to the WLAN when an external AP is plugged in and operational. If you only use the internal or external AP, it should work fine. That should be resolved in the next firmware.

- Marty

Thanks! I seriously started to doubt my brain.

I can live with the one AP for the time being but had I known this I would have got the RV180..

What?  How does the rv180w know there's an external AP plugged in?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Really?  I am seeing this same problem with our RV180 and Engenius access points.

We are using a number of  ENH700EXT units WDS connected via the 5Mhz link and using the 2.4Mhz radio for AP support for our clients.  The Cisco RV180 is supplying DHCP for multiple subnets and are tagged for the SSIDs.  I am unable to get the DHCP to cross the 5Mhz to the 2.4Mhz and thus I am unable to create a separate private and public network.

I believe we have a related issue mystify us when I tried to hook up an Engenius ENS200EXT in access point client mode to support our automatic gate controller.  The ENS200EXT is paired to one of the ENH700EXT APs (via AP discovery) which then links back to the central ENH700EXT which is connected to the RV180.  If I use a static IP on the connected LAN device, I get thru to the Internet and all devices.  If I try getting a DHCP address, I get nothing.

I replaced the ENS200EXT access point with an older Linksys WAP54G and immediately got DHCP and connected just fine.  Engenius support said that client bridge mode is not a standard mode of 801.11 and each vendor implements differently.  They tested with Sonicwall and have not seen this issue.

Bottom line is that our situations may very well be related to how you described this known issue.  If so, I would like to find out more.

I have opened these previous Cisco Cases related to this issue:  627368341 & 627667533  

Pete Carstensen

Mesa, AZ

pcarst@cox.net

Hi Pete,

I read your cases, it appears that the issue is not related. What I am referring to is an external AP plugged in to the RV180W when wireless is enabled on the RV180W. The devices that connect to the AP will not be able to reach the internet. If the radio on the RV180W is disabled, then the devices that connect to the AP can connect to the internet.

- Marty

Johannes Kingma
Level 1
Level 1

No the other way around. The NE connected to the wlan on the RV180 are blocked from Internet, The ones from the other AP had access.

And the RV180w know about the other AP by way of "rogue AP" settings, right?

Johannes,

To be honest I do not know what is the cause. I have heard and read speculation that a problem with rogue AP causes it. My RV220W is a very similar router but lacks rogue AP detection. All APs connected to it work perfectly and the built in AP is excellent. We are very hopeful that the development team will have a fix in the next firmware for the RV180W.

- Marty