cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W VPN setup and Wake On LAN problem

vincent.yim
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I bought a Cisco RV180W and would like to setup an IPsec VPN server for my team.

However, it's asking for the remote client's IP or FQDN. How would I know the client's IP if I'm using WiFi connection from different places?

Also, I'll be using my iphone to connect and the IP is not static.

Is it Cisco not going to support this feature or already working on a fix? I searched the internet and some of the old topic on this forum.

Seems like it's an old problem for RV220W and I don't see any intension that Cisco is going to provide a fix.

Also, I have an NAS and a PC connected to the RV180W on LAN. Seem like it's not possible remotely turn them on using Wake On LAN.

Could anyone problem a work around?

If Cisco isn't going to provide solutions to the above question, please announce it. So that I don't have to wait and I'll sell it and buy another router.

I regret that I bought this router. Should go for a DrayTek on Day 1

2 Replies 2

vincent.yim
Level 1
Level 1

anyone facing the same problem?

Hello Vincent, WOL is not a feature set of any of the small business routers. Additionally, it is a very difficult implementation that relies on a lot of conditions, not just your networking equipment. The broadcast packets usually are not routed, it depends on the computer BIOS, network card and even operating system.

You may try to troubleshoot the issue running the command on windows powercfg /lastwake and using a tool such as wire shark to capture the wake packets to see if your NIC will accept them or if the Windows OS will even respond.

As for the VPN, it sounds like you want to use a client to gateway connection. If this is the case, you can set up PPTP and QVPN users. You can also try to set up usage for 3rd party IPsec clients such as Greenbow or Shrewsoft.

If using a 3rd party application, the remote gateway information should remain as default (remote.com) and you don't have to specify remote subnets.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/