cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV215w SSL certificate, simply can't understand

pizzicatx
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, but I simply can't undertstand how to avoid SSL warnings while connecting to my RV215w webgui. Every time I open it in browser I get SSL error.

IE:

There is a problem with this website’s security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Chrome:

You attempted to reach <<router local ip>>, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as <<router mac address>>. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of <<router local ip>>.

I can ignore it and manage my router, but it will be nice for me to resolve it. I already open certificate in IE and install it as Trusted root, but it do not change anything, i still get warnings everytime.

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Alex,

If you use Firefox to manage the device you have the option to not see the warning again. IE and Chrome have no workaround that I am aware of. The message comes from the browser because the certificate is not signed by an authority. You could get a signed certificate and install it on the router but from what I've read and heard it is more work than it is worth. If it is a problem to see the message every time you login, I recommend Firefox.

- Marty

Thank you, just one question

>> You could get a signed certificate and install it on the router

In this case I need to get certificate exactly for address that I used to open webgui? If I use 192.168.0.1 - I will need certificate for "192.168.0.1"? Not sure that this is possible But I understand how to setup domain name for my WAN ip and use it futher.

>>
If it is a problem to see the message every time you login

Not a big - just think that I missed something in setup of cisco router. My previous routers just didn't used https.

Alex,

In this case I need to get certificate exactly for address that I used to open webgui? If I use 192.168.0.1 - I will need certificate for "192.168.0.1"? Not sure that this is possible But I understand how to setup domain name for my WAN ip and use it futher.

I am no expert when it comes to SSL certificates. My understanding is that when accessing the router locally there is little risk in using the default certificate. Using Remote Management could allow a man in the middle attack from a determined hacker. I always connect to my router through VPN so it is of little concern to me.

- Marty