cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 - configure remote desktop on a non-standard port

jason
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, just got an RV325 (and very disappointed with the fact that Cisco support won't even talk to you unless you buy a service contract but anyways) and I want to simply configure it to use remote desktop from the outside, and not on 3389 as we want to avoid people sniffing the port.  I have a custom service set up in port forwarding with the port I want to use and the ip address I want it sent to, I have an access rule in the firewall for any source, wan1 port and the destination the same as the forwarding rule.  The only way I can use remote desktop is if I keep it on 3389, these rules don't seem to work:/.      

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

thank you

6 Replies 6

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jason,

My name is Kristian and I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Let me just clarify that if you have purchased a new device from an authorized Cisco reseller, you are entitled to 12 months of remote technical support and do not need a service contract.

As far as your question regarding the use of RDP on a different port, the configuration you have made on the RV325 sounds correct. Have you checked whether you have re-configured the listening port for RDP on the Windows machines as well? By default Windows machines are listening for RDP sessions on port 3389 and if you only change the RDP port on the RV router it may not work as expected. 

Hope that helps,

Kris

Thanks for answering Kris, can you please give me a number to call for support as I really need to get this configured ASAP.  With other routers I have had, the listening port has not needed to be reconfigured on the computer.  The firewall listens on the custom port and forwards the traffic to the specified IP address.  From there, it should work fine - but I did try that and it didn't work.

Thanks

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jason,

You can contact us here.

Notes:

1. Have your product serial number and Cisco.com user name ready. (Register if needed.)

2. If applicable, update your profile with your service contract information.

Thanks,
Kris

KUA
Level 1
Level 1
You have to use "Port Address Translation"to forward 3390 to 3389. You hit your RV325 at 3390 and it forwards it to your internal default 3389.

It is not necessary to make a rule. The crappy thing is if you make a forward or PAT it allows the WHOLE WORLD by default. So if you want to narrow it down you have to make a specific allow rule for 3389 following by a deny.

Can you please elaborate on this for me. I think this is the closest answer i've come across for this issue but I'm still missing something. Thanks 

afterglow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, are you still having this problem? I have seen other folks use 3391, and you should add an rdp entry on Service Management then add that entry that you created in port forwarding and should ready to go.