Views
Helpful
Replies

RV32x Easy VPN Bandwith used to keep connection alive

bernard.bakker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I use an EasyVPN connection on my phone. In a few weeks i am going abroad and i was just wondering how much data / bandwith is used to keep the VPN connection alive.. Anyone?

Thanks in advanc for your thoughts and answers! 

Cheers, b.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hmmm...you should be able to adjust this 20-30s interval, but the way it is right now, each one of those is a packet, so two packets at each exchange.  A packet is +/-1500 bytes, so about 3000 bytes per exchange.  If you have two exchanges each minute, that's 6000 bytes per minute or 360000 bytes per hour or 8640000 bytes per day.  There's 1048576 bytes in a megabyte so 8.23974609375MB per day or 57.67822265625MB per week.

Now, when looking at your log, it's doesn't look like every 20-30s, but every 2-3s. :O  That would make all these calculations 10x too small.  80MB+/day and 570MB+/week would then be right--and that's just waaaaay too much ack/nak chatter going on.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

The amount of bandwidth used by VPNs is dependent on the type of usage you have and what type of traffic passes over the VPN.  For example, if you are simply using the VPN for email, this will use much less bandwidth than if you are exclusively looking at PDFs and JPGs (which are more data intensive objects).  Hope this helps!

Hi Samir,

Sorry for my somewhat untimely response and thanks for your answer! However, it wasn't exactly the answer that i was looking for. Maybe this excerpt of my logfile sheds some light on my question:

29.01.17 12:55:11 Ike: NOTIFY : RV32xx : RECEIVED : NOTIFY_MSG_R_U_HERE : XXXX
29.01.17 12:55:11 Ike: NOTIFY : RV32xx : SENT : NOTIFY_MSG_R_U_HERE_ACK : XXXX
29.01.17 12:57:43 Ike: NOTIFY : RV32xx : RECEIVED : NOTIFY_MSG_R_U_HERE : XXXX
29.01.17 12:57:43 Ike: NOTIFY : RV32xx : SENT : NOTIFY_MSG_R_U_HERE_ACK : XXXX

As you see every 20 / 30 seconds the VPN-server checks whether the client is still connected and the client responds. For these messages a small amount of data / bandwith is used. I would like to know how much data / bandwith is used for this on a (daily / weekly) basis, so i know which data-package to buy when i am abroad..

Thansk again!

Hmmm...you should be able to adjust this 20-30s interval, but the way it is right now, each one of those is a packet, so two packets at each exchange.  A packet is +/-1500 bytes, so about 3000 bytes per exchange.  If you have two exchanges each minute, that's 6000 bytes per minute or 360000 bytes per hour or 8640000 bytes per day.  There's 1048576 bytes in a megabyte so 8.23974609375MB per day or 57.67822265625MB per week.

Now, when looking at your log, it's doesn't look like every 20-30s, but every 2-3s. :O  That would make all these calculations 10x too small.  80MB+/day and 570MB+/week would then be right--and that's just waaaaay too much ack/nak chatter going on.

Hi Samir,

Thanks again! About the frequency of the ack/nak chatter... when i check my logfiles, it appears every twenty seconds or so. 

Looking at the excerpt of the logfiles both ack/nak instances are even further apart. The first exchange was on 12.55 the second on 12:57, two minutes later....

And approx. 57mb on a weekly basis is acceptable for me :-)

Thanks! b.

Ah, it was late, I saw the minutes as seconds for some reason.  Glad the calculations helped. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: