cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV340 VPN L2TP connection problem

CCCSteve
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to create a L2TP VPN connection between Windows 10 computers and an RV340 router.  I followed this procedure (https://youtu.be/aZwCrtoTYx0) carefully, but I get the error message "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer."  Tried all the common troubleshooting approaches for this error listed on the Web.  Don't know where to go next in troubleshooting.

6 Replies 6

CCCSteve
Level 1
Level 1

The same problem occurs on three different Windows 10 computers, all of which have the latest Windows updates, well beyond the offending security update problem.  I have tried all the troubleshooting techniques listed in mefmobile.

List the troubleshoot steps you followed :

what is the Logs you see on the RV router ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Going through the mefmobile sequence:

1 - Using PAP rather than CHAP per the Cisco instructions, but I have tried it both ways.

2 - The LCP extension is enabled.

3 - Tried restarting IPSEC.

4 - Have not reinstalled the network adapters, but this same problem happens on three different computers.

5 - All computers have latest Windows version, well past offending update.

The RV340 logs show nothing at the notification level and above.

The RV340 logs show nothing at the notification level and above.

This sounds odd, First are you able to reach RVXX external interface?

post screenshots of config you created on RV

post ipconfig /all from your PC, also ping results  to RVXX

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have found that I can connect if the computer I am using is not on the internal network (inside the RV340 router).  As we will be using VPN only outside the facility, I should be good to go, although I would like to know why I can't connect internally.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: