cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV345 password change suddenly required after 15 months

ScottyPoppy
Level 1
Level 1

After a few months of not logging into it, I tried to get back into my Cisco RV345. After logging in it requires a password change. However the password I enter does not stick. I am only allowed access to the user accounts page. I tried creating a new user but those settings were ignored. I have never had any settings requiring a password change so I don't know what that is all about. There is a setting to check or uncheck a 180 day password change. No matter what I do with that the setting is ignored. Basically all changes I make are ignored. At top right it shows me logged in as cisco (admin) user yet no settings stick. I am one rev behind on firmware. When I click flashing save icon on top, which should let me update firmware, nothing happens.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@ScottyPoppy 

Hi there,

By default, you have password aging time set to 180 days, therefore, you have to change it to 0 to basically disable that feature and stop monitoring the password age. That explains why you are getting that warning message after 15 months login attempt. Once you are logged in you may need to manually upgrade the software to the latest 1.0.03.20 - Administration -->File Management-->Manual Upgrade (https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286287791/type/282465789/release/1.0.03.20?i=!pp ). 

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this thread contains useful hints :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/rv042-password-expired-problem/td-p/2170203

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Well, it doesn't contain any solutions. Since others have experienced it there does appear to be a bug in the firmware in which a password change is required when it should not be according to the settings. It appears the only solution is to wipe router and restore configuration. Luckily I have been diligent about configuration backups so that shouldn't be a problem. The only solution to the problem appears to be having a current backup of the router configuration. Bummer.

What's funny is that they still marked this as solved. I have the exact same issue with a service contract that expired 15 days ago. Seems like this password expiration was timed perfectly with the expiration/non-renewal of our Cisco contract, unfortunately, so now I'm waiting to hear back from Cisco tech support regarding a solution. I expect they'll tell me I need to renew our service contract in order to receive assistance, but we'll see.

I'm waiting for confirmation of that before I reset the router and start from scratch. Not too excited about this and it seems to be the only solution.

I had the same issue. What's even funnier is that I've disabled the password aging setting (or set it to 0, or whatever their recommendation was). It solved the issue until I did a firmware upgrade, which apparently reset this setting and now I can't get in once again. What a pain!

Saving grace is I backed up my firmware settings, so when I do have some downtime to reset the router once again, I don't have to start from scratch.

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@ScottyPoppy 

Hi there,

By default, you have password aging time set to 180 days, therefore, you have to change it to 0 to basically disable that feature and stop monitoring the password age. That explains why you are getting that warning message after 15 months login attempt. Once you are logged in you may need to manually upgrade the software to the latest 1.0.03.20 - Administration -->File Management-->Manual Upgrade (https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286287791/type/282465789/release/1.0.03.20?i=!pp ). 

Regards,

Martin