cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 Password issue

kkinty
Level 1
Level 1

I recently took over IT administration of a small business from their old IT guy who walked out on them. The problem is he changed the password of record and won't give us the new one (he "forgets"). I have an important need to get on there and set up port forwarding for the higher ups and would rather not reset it as installing a new router caused serious problems and they insisted I don't cause any more right now.  If a moderator can email me and offer some help I'd appreciate it.

1 Reply 1

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Keith,

Short of utilizing the "Undocumented Test Interface", I am not aware of any way to access or reset the password without resetting the router to factory defaults.

http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20140110-sbd

I don't know the details about how to go about using it, but apparently you can gain root access from the LAN side of the router. You may be able to recover the password or change it if you can figure out how.

Please note that for version 2 hardware, a firmware upgrade has been released that fixes this issue. The firmware for the version 1 hardware should be released soon. Whatever method you use to access the router, I recommend that you upgrade the firmware ASAP if it hasn't been done already.

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: