Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 v2 and Win 7 VPN Support

JacobAman87
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I just purchased the RVS4000 v2 to replace an old Netgear FVL328 VPN router which no longer met VPN needs.  Despite the poor reviews for the RVS4000, it seems as though Cisco has solved many of the issues with the firmware releases of the last few years.  However, I was just reading a post by someone attempting to connect Win 7 machines via VPN tunnel and it was not supported.  I'd like to know if this is still an issue, as we stopped using VPN with the former Netgear router, instead relying on teamviewer (but I'd much rather reconfigure a VPN).

Also, are Jumbo frames still not supported?

Thanks!

Jacob

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Jacob, contrary to what many write, the QVPN has always been compatible with Windows 7. Many folks simply do not understand how Windows Vista and Window 7 integrate the the IPsec and IKE services in to the MS operating system, many also do not understand external factors, such as very popular deployments from ISP using "business gateway" or "residential gateways" which make double-nat or unsupported scenarios.  Also, the QVPN client may fail under certain conditions such as the ESP packets being blocked (Verizon has some problems with this especially) or additional issues such as not enough upload to maintain the client-side tunnel.

I really couldn't iterate enough that QVPN is "quick" and quite easy to set up and use. It is the external factors Cisco cannot control which users expect Cisco to fix other aspects of their networks and operating system which at times is quite unreasonable.

As far as I know, the RVS4000 does not support Jumbo Frames, I do not see it in the documentation.

If you're having issues with QVPN, call the support center, chances are we will resolve it or identify the problem.

Thanks.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/