cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 VPN Woes

capaho896
Level 1
Level 1

I created a VPN client account on my RVS4000 but I am unable to connect to it.  When I attempt to connect using the OS X VPN client it says it can't connect to the VPN server.  The VPN log in the RVS4000 shows this:

May 15 14:58:40 - [VPN Log]: IP interfaces ppp0 and eth0:0 share address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx!

May 15 14:58:40 - [VPN Log]: no public interfaces found

I suspect that is the problem but I don't know how to correct it in the RVS4000 settings.  The WAN is configured for Unnumbered IP + Private.

How do I correct the interface problem?

5 Replies 5

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

The "VPN Client Accounts" page is meant for adding QuickVPN users. If you are using third party VPN client software, you should configure the tunnel using the "IPsec VPN" page. You could get some general idea from the attached config guide.

Message was edited by: tekliu

I believe I have the VPN configured correctly on the RVS4000, and I think it should work with the OS X VPN client, but the VPN client always reports that the vpn server does not respond, which is likely related to this entry in the VPN log on the RVS4000 when I enable the VPN:

[VPN Log]: IP interfaces ppp0 and eth0:0 share address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx!

[VPN Log]: no public interfaces found

I suspect that error is related to the WAN configuration being set to Unnumbered IP + Private, which is necessary for my network configuration, and the VPN settings in the RVS4000 do not allow me to manually set the gateway IP address for the VPN to an unused address in the unnumbered set.  That leaves me wondering if it is even possible to use the VPN on this router if the WAN is configured for unnumbered IPs.

What type of VPN client are you using on the Mac OS X, PPTP or IPsec?

I currently have it configured for Cisco IPsec.  The options in the OS X VPN client are L2TP over IPsec, Cisco IPsec and PPTP.

RVS4000 support none of these VPN clients. I know some folks have success with Shrew Soft on Mac OS X.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2022686

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: