Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N Dropping Wireless Clients

roy.clowser
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings...

I have read several of the other threads here regarding this issue, none of which seem to contain a resolution other than the one where the user finally purchased another router.  I have been having this issue since I bought the router and have hoped with each new firmware perhaps it would be resolved.

I have several wired and wireless devices connected to the router which is running the latest firmware (2.0.2.1) and I have this issue with all wireless devices.  The router is configured for B/G/N Mixed, Channel 6, and to broadcast the SSID.  Security Mode is WPA2-Personal w/ key renewal set to 3600.  Connection control is configured to allow only the desired MAC addresses.  All wireless clients are configured for DHCP (as are some of the wired clients that do not have this issue).  I have tried various setting changes over time, none of which have resolved the issue.

What I have determined, and may be useful, is that each time this occurs I am unable to ping the router from the client and have no connectivity to the internet or other devices on the network.  If I ping the WAP address (reserved for internal use address) I get a response and then connectivity is always restored after doing so.  In other words, I ping 192.168.1.1 and get no response, immediately ping 192.168.1.2 and get a response, then immediately ping 192.168.1.1 and now get a response and connectivity is restored.  If I skip the first step and just ping the reserved address followed by the router address result is always the same.  It would appear the issue is between the the two router addresses.

Prior to owning this router I had a Linksys BEFSX41 that I had for about 7-8 years and a WAP54G I had for about 5, both of which still worked and I never had this issue with my wireless clients.  I went to this router for the increased performance and am very happy with that aspect, however this issue is unacceptable.

Any advice or a solution (or even a possible workaround) would be greatly appreciated...

Many thanks!

Roy Clowser

6 Replies 6

candrews99
Level 1
Level 1

Are your wireless clients Apple products? I have the same issue but only with my Apple products, (iPad, iPod, Airport). Other wireless clients seem to work reliably.

No, none of them are Apple products.  I have a Toshiba Laptop (WinXP Pro), a Nintendo Wii, and two HTC Thunderbolt phones and have the issue with all of the wireless clients.  Of course, only from the laptop am I able to perform the ping trick that seems to get it back online everytime without fail.  I have 11 wired devices connected also and no issues with any of those.

Thanks for your response.

roy.clowser
Level 1
Level 1

So is the only solution to this issue a new router from a different manufacturer?  Are there any phone numbers for tech support?  Does Cisco do free tech support on these products?  Any Cisco tech people reading these forums?

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi Roy,

Thank you for posting and sorry about the delayed response. Based on your initial post I think your configuration is pretty good. I would change the Wireless Network Mode: to G/N-Mixed or N-Only if all of your devices support N. I would also change the channel to Auto and let the router find the best channel based on the amount of interference in the area.

The WRVS4400N comes with 1 year of free phone support. Please feel free to call if you require assistance with the router.

The number for Small Business Support in the US & Canada is 1-866-606-1866. For other countries please see www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

Thanks much for the advise.  I will give that a shot and post back after I have had some time to test it out.

No go on the configration changes... still dropping clients after a period of time and again I was able to restore by pinging the WAP address.