cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N V2 and VPN setup

dave.francefort
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get VPN running and so far, Router is up and running, Wireless is setup with WEP security, and I setup 3 VPN clients with passwords.  I can connect remotely with the Cisco QuickVPN and it logs me in and Router says I am logged in, problem is I can not see any network resources (i.e. Shares, computers, printers, etc) I think it is something to do with the subnetting or IP schema of the LAN vs VPN.  My LAN is setup for DHCP and issuing IP from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149, question should and can my VPN be use say from 192.168.1.150 to 160 ? or should it be a 10.10.x.x?

Also where in the router do I verify what the VPN is using (both IP and subnet mask)?

Thank you for any assistance on this!

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

hi,

You mentioned that the router shows you're logged in but when using the Qvpn software does it show you connected and time is counting up? The router will show connected even if tunnel doesn't full establish sometimes. This generally is due to the last step where a ping is sent across the tunnel and never makes it back or gets blocked by your computers firewall. Lets just say you are connected. Are you able to ping the default gateway of the remote router? So the lan ip 192.168.1.x and gets replies?. If you answered yes to this question then all you will need to do is play with windows firewall settings to allow file sharing and other services. If you are not able to ping the gateway then you are having connectivity problems with Qvpn itself.

Also it is best to have a different subnet rather than default, becuse if you are remoting from a 192.168.1.x to a 192.168.1.x then this will cause problems and traffic will not flow properly.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Suppport Engineer.

So I guess I should change the subnet mask on their router to be 192.168.2.x and then it would be different from most default routers that people would be VPN in from?

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting. If you change the subnet that should fix the issue. When both ends of the tunnel have the same subnet, the client end router is confused about where to send traffic. (Local or through the tunnel?)