cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10Gb module on 6509

Borman Bravo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, everyone, I appreciate your help. All I need to know is if the 4 or 8 10Gb port modules (WS-X6704-10G and WS-X6708-10G)are hot swappable or do they require the 6500 chassis to be shut down before installing such modules, I need to upgrade from 4 to 8 port module and would to avoid bringing everything else down, thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Both modules are hot swappable in 6500. All 10G modules are hot swappable in 6500.

Catalyst 6500 Ethernet Switching Module Installation Guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/6500-emig.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

huangedmc
Level 3
Level 3

In my past experience, all line cards are hot-swappable, except service modules such as ACE.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the 10G modules are hot-swappable, since they're kind of new, so I'm also interested to see if anyone knows the answer for sure.

If you need to do this before anyone confirms, you can just shut down power to the specific slot w/o bringing down everything else:

config t

no power enable module

The WS-X6704-10GB module uses "hot-swappable" industry-standard Xenpak modular optics so i believe the actual WS-X6704-10GB module is hot swappable...

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Borman,

they are depending on the type of supervisor you have you can just see a complain about the fact that DFC on the linecard is more advanced then PFC.

Also backup configuration of the existing 4 ports I'm not sure that the system will apply config to them after detecting a different linecard.

you may need to configure them again

Edit:

there are also some requirements on chassis type and FAN

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/ol_14271.html#wp3743782

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These cards are hot-swappable. Once you remove the cards, all the config pertaining to the cards are gone.

I'd recommend that you copy the config down before you do anything and organize a change request/window.

leolaohoo,

That's not entirely true! The configs for a linecard is saved on the sup not on the card itself. so for example replacing a faulty WS-X6704 with another 6704 the config is copy from sup to the new 6704 when the new card inserted...

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Both modules are hot swappable in 6500. All 10G modules are hot swappable in 6500.

Catalyst 6500 Ethernet Switching Module Installation Guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Mod_Install_Guide/6500-emig.html

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I just installed one, actually two, "hot" the other day and had no issues. I have 2 6509 with VSS.

Thanks,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: