cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1811 config differences

umbernaut
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up my 2nd 1811 router for NAT and VPN.  The 1st 1811 works great, completed a few months ago.  On this 2nd 1811, I decided to just copy the working startup-config from the good, 1st router to this 2nd, and then change IPs and from there.  I did not do the setup wizard, but just erased the startup-config, reloaded, gave temp IP on local LAN and copied good startup-config from TFTP server.

Question: on this 2nd 1811, I show this:

mmi polling-interval 60

no mmi auto-configure

no mmi pvc

mmi snmp-timeout 180

no ip subnet-zero

I do not have this on the 1st, and I cannot get rid of it.  I saw where someone else asked the same question way back.  Is this due to IOS versions?

On the 1st I have:

Cisco IOS Software, C181X Software (C181X-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(6)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

flash:c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T8.bin

On the 2nd I have:

Cisco IOS Software, C181X Software (C181X-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

flash:c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin

I searched for the IOS on the 1st router to install to the 2nd, so they would be the same, but could not find it.

-ty

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't worry too much about the default commands in the "sh run" output. .  As you said, this is all IOS related and should not effect your production. Sometimes with IOS major or minor releases certain commands show up as default, but it is a good idea and for ease of troubleshooting  to run the same IOS in both routers.

HTH

I agree with Reza that the items that you mention are not anything to be concerned. They relects slightly different default behaviors in different different versions of IOS.

I would also suggest that if you want to have both routers run the same IOS that you do not need the Cisco site to get this done. You only need to have some TFTP or FTP server on your network. Then copy the IOS image from the first router to the server, and then copy from the server to the second router. Then both routers will run the same version.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok, I went about trying to copy the image from the working 1811 to the new 1811.  I have followed this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a00800a6744.shtml#copying_one_router

And done everything it says, but I am not getting the part when doing "copy tftp flash" that shows:

-----

****  NOTICE  ****
Flash load helper v1.0
This process will accept the copy options and then terminate
the current system image to use the ROM based image for the copy.
Routing functionality will not be available during that time.
If you are logged in via telnet, this connection will terminate.
Users with console access can see the results of the copy operation.                         
                        ---- ******** ----

-----

Instead, my new 1811 just acts like it's copying a file to its flash, and there's not enough space.  It's not replacing the image that's on it

I get this instead:

-----

Loading c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T8.bin from [ip address] (via FastEthernet0): !

%Error copying tftp://[ip address]/c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T8.bin (Not enough space on device)

-----

Any help is appreciated.

Ok, if there is no space in the flash then you need to first delete the existing IOS before copying the new one.  Be very careful NOT to reboot the router after you delete the image, because that will cause the router to go to Rommon.

So, delete the existing IOS,  then copy the new one.  Make sure the new one is on the flash card save (wr) then reboot

do this during on outage window.

HTH

Yes, I backed up both images on both routers, but the guide seems to indicate that if there is not enough space -- and I knew there wasn't (checked), that's ok because:

" If there is not enough space available, as in this case, then the existing file from the Flash is erased while downloading a new one. It is a good practice to backup the existing system image to the TFTP server using the copy flash tftp

command."

I'm simply NOT getting the "Flash Load Helper" message and/or, my IOS isn't compatible with that guide or something, but yes, I guess I'll have to just delete the image off the new router and not reboot as you say....

The Flash Load Helper was unique to the 2500 (and other early run from flash routers). And if you read the notes in the article in the link it does say that it was written for 2500 routers. So you will certainly not get the Flash Load Helper message on your 1811.

Some versions of IOS would check to see if there was enough space in flash and would clear flash if necessary. And some versions of IOS do not do this. Looks like your 1811 does not do this. So you need to do it yourself.

- make a backup copy of the IOS image you will be replacing. actually it would be good to make backup copies of both IOS image files.

- check the size of the IOS that you want to copy.

- check the size of flash and the available space on the router that will receive the IOS that you will copy.

- is there enough space available to just copy the image to the second router? If so proceed with the copy.

- if there is not enough space available,

+ are there some files in flash that you could delete (other than the IOS image file)?  would there be enough space if you delete the files? If so manually erase the files and do the copy.

+ if you delete the current IOS image file in flash of the second router would there be enough space in flash to accept the new image? If so manually erase the existing IOS image file and then proceed with the copy.

+ otherwise consider the possibility of upgrading the flash in the 1811.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good stuff.  I guess I only paid attention to the first sentence in the following:

"This document is not restricted to specific software and hardware versions. The platforms used for the purpose of this document are Cisco 2500 series routers and Cisco 3600 series routers."

:/

Yes, that is the good old command that works only on 2500 series.  It would make sense to have it on all the platforms.

Please remember to tag your threads and help support "Teachers without Borders"

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/idea-center/communityhelpingcommunity

I have tagged my original post.

I have also found the document for my specific router(s) regarding changing/upgrading image files.  I was shocked to read this:

"If the total memory is less than the new system image's minimum flash requirements, you must upgrade your compact flash memory card. See the hardware installation guide for your router."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_image.html#wp1052272

So, officially and technically, when one runs into the problem I have ran into, of wanting to upgrade the image, the IOS, then I need to upgrade hardware? memory?

Someone said just delete the old image, copy the new, and make sure not to reboot before the new is there.   I'm trying to do this right....

I think that you have not correctly understood what the document was saying. So let me paraphrase it:

If the new image requires more flash memory than is physically available on your current flash then you must upgrade the flash before you upgrade the image.

So the advice to erase the existing IOS image file and copy the new IOS image file into flash is still good advice. It does not contradict any legal requirement or licensing requirement from Cisco.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card