Views
Helpful
Replies

1921/K9 vs 1921-SEC/K9

Peter_sgc_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know the difference between the 1921/K9 and the 1921-SEC/K9?

I would have thought the 1921/K9 would be missing features for VPN.

However on the product description pages it says the 1921-K9 doesn't support 802.1Q where as the 1921-SEC/K9 does.

I can't get a direct answer from Cisco and I can't find a list of differences on the cisco website

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"k9" designation in the image name: This universal image offers all the Cisco IOS features including strong payload cryptography features such as IPSec VPN, SSL VPN, and Secure Unified Communications.

A little correction here: All kind of secure communication for the data-plane (like VPNs) is only available with the SEC-license. k9 still gives you for example encrypted management.

And for the original question: .1q is also supported with IP Base license. The features can be checked in the feature navigator.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sugam Rangan
Level 1
Level 1

There is nothing related to hardware when you talk about K9 or SEC/K9. Its all about the licences bundles comes along with Hardware.

If you will purchase a 1921/K9 Router it will come with K9 Licence bundle and if you will buy 1921-SEC/k9 router it will come SEC/K9 bundle. Now whats the difference between them:

"k9" designation in the image name: This universal image offers all the Cisco IOS features including strong payload cryptography features such as IPSec VPN, SSL VPN, and Secure Unified Communications.

"SEC/K9" : Supports security features like Zone-Based Firewall, Intrusion Prevention along with the features listed above.

A little correction here: All kind of secure communication for the data-plane (like VPNs) is only available with the SEC-license. k9 still gives you for example encrypted management.

And for the original question: .1q is also supported with IP Base license. The features can be checked in the feature navigator.

Hi Karsten,

Thanks for this.

I thought they would both support 802.1q but when you are looking at suppliers website and one says 802.1q and the other doesn't you can see my confusion.

http://www.ebuyer.com/254387-cisco-router-c1921-modular-router-2ge-2ehwic-cisco1921-k9

http://www.ebuyer.com/254388-cisco-1921-integrated-services-router-cisco1921-sec-k9

Don't give to much on these descriptions. They can't list all features that are available. The only reference is what is documented by Cisco. For sure, finding the information on Cisco.com is sometimes also challenging ...

Gaurav Mahajan
Level 1
Level 1

You can find the difference in the model of the routers from the link below for 

Cisco 1921 Series Integrated Services Routers Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

Product Number

Product Description

Cisco1921/K9

Cisco 1921 with 2 onboard GE, 2 EHWIC slots, 256MB USB Flash (internal) 512MB DRAM, IP Base Lic

Cisco1921-SEC/K9

Cisco 1921 with 2 onboard GE, 2 EHWIC slots, 256MB USB Flash (internal) 512MB DRAM, SEC Feature Lic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card