cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 Circuits from same ISP

mjhagen
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 circuits from same ISP connected to 2 routers. I am running HSRP on the inside and router A is the primary. I have 2 default routes on router A 1 with next hop to ISP and 1 with next hop to router B. I have 2 default routes on router B with 1 to next hop ISP and 1 to next hop router A with a distance metric set for a greater distance. All works fine I get load balanced traffic to ISP over both routers. Problem is when circuit to ISP goes down on router B router A still sends traffic to router B and traffic is being dropped. Is the routing setuo correctly?

9 Replies 9

shiva_ial
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

you can use HSRP TRACKING feature which will monitor the links always and if the link goes down divert the traffic accordingly..

standby track is the command to do

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8c.shtml

rate if it helps

rgds/shiva

The issue I had was not on the HSRP side it was on the ISP side when the ISP circuit goes down.

mike,

i couldn't get your question properly

what does that mean isp side down

is there single link between you and isp ?

rgds/shiva

I have a sinle link from each router to ISP

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike,

That's the problem when configuring static routing as it doesn't adjust its path dynamically after a failure.

You may need to introduce Object tracking along with your static routing configuration.

With Object tracking you can intelligently detect a link failure.

Please see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Both circuits from each router are fast ethernet circuits. Will this work? If I track the circuit to ISP will it down the route?

You can configure a SLA to ping an external device in the internet while sourcing from the interface connected between Router A & B. If that fails, the track will automatically determine the circuit is down and choose the second IP route from the list.

HTH,

__

Edison.

have you tried configuring the static utilizing the router egress interface in the syntax? fro example:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa 0/0

I have not used the egress setting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card