cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 DMVPN Tunnels with MPLS

janderson2556
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm soliciting advice where I need answers...here goes!

I'm designing on-the-fly a DMVPN overlay.

Each Branch ISR(4331's and 2911's) has 3 incoming WAN Connections.

1. MetroEthernet WAN provided by MPLS Provider

2. Internet via Local Cable Provider

3. Internet via Cradlepoint CBA850 (Bell Canada/AT&T)

The desired order of fail over is as such:

MetroE goes down, DMVPN via local Cable takes over, Cellular is standby.

MetroE goes down, Cable goes down, Cellular DMVPN takes over.

I have the DMVPN Tunnels up and established, but the failover order is something that is eluding me.

Our MPLS is accomplishing dynamic routing via BGP. For simplicity and uniformity I would like to use static routes for the DMVPN traffic. (I have some guys who just LOOOVVVEE to do copy paste config...lol)

So, great Cisco community please impart some of your collective knowledge on a guy who's about to go nuts!

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Run a routing protocol (EIGRP or iBGP is suggested) and let the routing protocol handle the failover for you. You will just need to adjust the metrics a bit so MetroE is preferred, internet is secondary and cellular is tertiary.

Hello,

depending on what is in the BGP routing table for the MPLS connection, you could use floating static routes with a higher administrative distance than BGP (20 for eBGP and 200 for iBGP). 

What are you advertising to the BGP neighbor ?

Cisco4Life
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with Collin, I'd run EIGRP and add the bandwidth xxxx on the tunnel interfaces where xxx is a speed you give.  Then EIGRP will just calculate it and you will have your primary, secondary and tertiary.

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco