Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 and Full BGP routing table

darin.pesnell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am desiging a solution to provide redundant internet access for a client with (2) T1's to different ISPs. To run the full BGP routing table from each isp, is a 2811 with 512MB of Ram sufficient for this or do I need a router with a faster processor? If so, what platform to you recommend?

Thank you,

Darin Pesnell

2 Replies 2

ggatten
Level 1
Level 1

IMO - you're OK.

Way back I used a 2514 in a similar config, only I used partial routes from each ISP and then equal cost static defaults to both.

It takes a WHILE to get the full routing table and the CPU will not like it while it's being loaded - but after the routing tables are fully populated, CPU will be fine - even with (2) T1's fully saturated.

I'm guessing your routing tables will be around ~ 140MB, less than 256MB for SURE - so you have more than enough RAM. Your ISP's should be able to tell you how much RAM is required for the full routes. Of course they ALWAYS indicate more than what's actually required.

I'm curious though why full routes from each? In fact, depending on your requirements you could get away with no routes - static defaults only. I'd think partial routes from each would be a good compromise. Maybe my reasoning is all screwed up, so I'm wondering why full from each?

Thanks!

Gary

markausten
Level 1
Level 1

If there's no need to receive full routes, I would go for this option:

- Ask ISP to send only 0/0

- Configure iBGP between the two routers so if one router fails the other will receive the 0/0 and route through the live router

- Configure HSRP, GLBP or direct the hosts to the routers in whatever way is preferable

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card