Views
Helpful
Replies

2851 Advice

cisco_planer_it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I'm looking for some advice on the correct part numbers to suite our requirements.  We have  a 2851 (12.4(24)T3) running CME for our company and acting as a VPN server for our mobile users, with the following inventory

cme#show inv

NAME: "2851 chassis", DESCR: "2851 chassis"

PID: CISCO2851         , VID: V04 ,

NAME: "One port E1 voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 0", DESCR: "One port E1 voice interface daughtercard"

PID: VWIC-1MFT-E1=     , VID: 1.0,

NAME: "2nd generation two port FXS voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 1", DESCR: "2nd generation two port FXS voice interface daughtercard"

PID: VIC2-2FXS         , VID: V01 ,

NAME: "2nd generation two port FXO voice interface daughtercard on Slot 0 SubSlot 2", DESCR: "2nd generation two port FXO voice interface daughtercard"

PID: VIC2-2FXO         , VID: V01 ,

NAME: "PVDMII DSP SIMM with four DSPs on Slot 0 SubSlot 4", DESCR: "PVDMII DSP SIMM with four DSPs"

PID: PVDM2-64          , VID: V01 ,

NAME: "AIM Service Engine 0", DESCR: "AIM Service Engine"

PID: AIM-CUE           , VID: V02 ,

We have two ADSL lines with different public networks that I would like to attach to this device, with the intention of setting up a DNS round robin to point our mobile users at when setting up their VPN connection to the office. There aren't enough physical switch ports to do so with this device and so I would like to add some more, possibly with POE to increase the switching capacity in our computer room. Also, would I need an updated PSU to support POE.

Please advise on the part number(s) required, and whether a EtherSwitch (NM), Etherwswitch (NME), or Etherswitch (HWIC) are appropriate.

thanks in advance

Simon

3 Replies 3

Here is a list of Switch-Modules that you can add to your router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#esm

Keep in mind that the 2800 series is EOL announced. So I wouldn't buy any module that only fits into a 2800. For example the HWIC-D-9ESW-POE has only nine ports, but could also be used in a 2900 series ISR G2.

This is the list of switch modules that are supported on the 2900:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10537/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#esm

Or think about adding an external Switch with PoE like the 2960-X or an SB-Switch like the SG300/SG500 which would give you much more flexibility.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thank for your replies

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For ADSL, use HWIC-1ADSL. That give better results and eliminate the need for using an external modem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco