cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960x %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL:

Spiky.Steve
Level 1
Level 1

so last night i upgrade a stack of switches  (6)

and it upgraded them,  but now i get a few errors   as seen below

the system light stays amber, and no traffic is forwarding

the version i upgraded to was c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E6

i've tried downgrading to  

c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-6.E.bin & c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-4.E4.bin

000647: Sep  6 10:19:07.623 BST: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's

authorization.  This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms.  If your use of this prod

uct is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technic

al support program such as Smartnet.  Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

Another error message when booting

sh license

Index 1 Feature: lanlite

Period left: 0  minute  0  second

Index 2 Feature: lanbase

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Raise a TAC Case.  This could be CSCur56395.

Were you able to solve this?

@docxp wrote:

Were you able to solve this?

Raise a TAC Case and get TAC to verify if you're hitting this bug or not.

Sergei1
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

Is it possible to solve this problem by yourself?

I have the same problem on two switches.

Bought two of them for technical reserve and now after opening the boxes two of them are on this status.

Waiting for Stack Master Election...

And sh license:

Switch#sh license 

The curious thing is that I don't have it stacked. I don't even have stacking modules. They are directly from the box.

We just received one like this - new in the box.  This will be #3 or #4 with this issue that we've had to deal with.

Mar 1 00:00:55.686: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL =
*Jan 2 00:00:00.076: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = c2960x_lanbase Next reboot level = lanbase and License = No valid license found
Feb 26 19:57:28.174: Flexstack module is 1
Feb 26 19:58:27.877: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet. Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

Switch#sho license
Period left: 0 minute 0 second
Period left: 0 minute 0 second

Good luck with TAC.  I work with my vendor, it's easier.  Last time I had one of these, tried to use TAC.  "You don't have SmartNet on the switch"  Sent the TAC agent a copy of the Cisco life time warranty info.  After some "discussion" I finally got an engineer.  Then more discussion before a resolution.  Total about 2 weeks to get replacement switches. Easier to call vendor and say "give me one that works, and send an RMA shipper."  WTF Cisco, QC out to lunch that day?.  

did you solve it?

The solution is to RMA the unit, but it's very hard to get a replacement without SMARTnet, so I have two brand new switches that stayed on the box for 1.5 years and now I can't get a replacement of it, even with the Cisco's Lifetime Warranty.

Hammer on TAC - I had to post a copy of the warranty to the chat bot to get contact with an engineer.  Then jumped through some hoops that I had already done based on things read in various bug reports.  FINALLY I got RMAs. BUilding was down for almost 4 weeks before we had solid switching running in the stack.  The basic warranty is why we bought them for end switching - no need for SmartNet.  Yes, RMA is only solution - apparently.  My vendor is sending a replacement and will install E7 on it before they send.  They have 6 more units in the same state.  Quote - "Cisco has a problem with these 2960X units that they are refusing to acknowledge."  

The IOS has keywords that indicate it's possible to load a license from NVRAM, USB, etc - so I wonder why they can't provide some license key for the switch. 

I suspect - with no real knowledge of the process - that possibly the boot loader update is wiping something from the switch. When the switch boots, it's looking for a "environment variable".  

*Mar 1 00:00:55.693: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL =
*Jan 2 00:00:00.076: %IOS_LICENSE_IMAGE_APPLICATION-6-LICENSE_LEVEL: Module name = c2960x_lanbase Next reboot level = lanbase and License = No valid license found

thanks for the time to help me, But What is RMA the unit ( replacement )
???
sh flash

"RMA" is Return Material Authorization - TAC sets up a hardware replacement with an RMA number.  Cisco then sends you a replacement switch with a shipping tag to return the broken unit within 10 days.  NOTE - save ALL your paperwork and a copy of the shipping label.  TRACK IT - you will be billed if it doesn't make it back to Cisco.  No RMA, no return.  Or call your vendor and get them to replace it and let their engineers deal with Cisco.

Took a stab - no joy.

booted to ROMON,  set a env variable -

LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL = lanbase

booted switch - oh, well.

*Mar 1 00:00:55.735: Read env variable - LICENSE_BOOT_LEVEL = lanbase

Feb 28 20:39:23.885: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: etc, etc

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card