cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 vWICs in 2821 = errors? (I'm at a loss.)

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I learned yesterday that Cisco only truly supports 4 T1s in a 2821. I have 3 WICs in a 2821 (6 T1s) and it's been "working" fine. I noticed that I've been incurring CRC errors on ALL 6 of my interfaces. I've contacted the local telco, and they tested their line clean. I then had them come out and test from demarc to them, and it tested clean.

All of the connections are individual frame links that are bundled on my end. My question is:

If Cisco only supports 4 T1s coming into the router, and I have 6, will I a.) get CRC errors (normally line issue) and b.) will I see them only on the cards that's having a problem or will it be just local to the card that's having a problem.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no limitation to the number of cards supported, your issue have a different cause.

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The problem is fixed, and I'm posting here so everyone will know how I fixed it.

The telco tested everything fine, and it showed that the router was causing the errors. The problem is this:

When multiple vWICs are all set to network clock participate, they are all pulling the clock from the line. Since they were ALL doing this, it seemed that they were fighting because they were all also pulling from the backplane to get the timing.

I made one controller the primary, and then I set the other controllers to pull the clocking from that one and all of my errors went away.

controller t1 0/0/0

clock source line primary

controller t1 0/0/1

clock source line

controller t1 0/1/0

clock source line

controller t1 0/1/1

clock source line

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-participate wic 1

network-clock-participate wic 2

network-clock-select 1 t1 0/0/0

The "network-clock-select" tells all of the other cards to get their clocking from t1 0/0/0. All of my errors went away and it resolved my issue.

HTH in the future,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Good info, rated.

All these years later.....still works like a charm!

Hello John

cheers for this - great 5* information 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

george.inta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

After 6 hours of searching all the internet, trying to configure clock source independent, reconfiguring the mgcp gateway, i have finally found the solution here.This command "network-clock-select" should be written all over the web sites, even included by Cisco in their official documentation(because i didn't found it anywhere included).

Thank you,

George.

That is actually a subject that any reputable consultant, or certified Cisco partnerr, normally configure all the time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card