cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750E switch coudnot ping a video conferencing system

mestasew1
Level 1
Level 1

I am working  on a cisco switch  model 3750 E on ios  ver 12.2 and installing a newly purchased VC device configured with static address under the vlan created for video. After setting  subset mask and GW  on the device , a ping to the device failed.  the vlan interface is up and the link to the device is configured as access to the vlan.  I was able to see the device mac  and  ip address on the mac , arp table. I have tried various settings on the link such as trunk and dynamic desirable which does not help. also verified there is no any acl blocking the traffic.

I sent broadcast traffic to the vlan from its DG , but no response from the device nor can I ping the switch from the device.

I have started working with the techs from the device provider. but I also want to present the  problem for Cisco community to see any suggestion or share  experience on  such situation.

Best regards

22 Replies 22

If the switch has learned the mac and if address of a device , why the ping test fail ?

Try

interface FastEthernet0/0
 no mdix auto

Hello,

I think the 3750E works with auto smartports and static smartport macros. Can you check if any of those are enabled on your switch ?

Check the link below for reference:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/auto_smartports/15-0_1_se/configuration/guide/asp_cg/configure.html

You still haven't told us what model you have (e.g. V2IU E 4300T). Whatever model you have, have you tried to reset it to factory defaults ?

Georg,

I thank you for the smartports and and static smartport  macros  concept and the link. this is something I will look into. 

Georg,

After replacing the device with a new one from the vendor, I was able to get response and communicate with its vlan, made video calls. 

I have upgraded the software to the latest version before I return the device. I guess the problem was a faulty device maybe firmware.

Any ways the device is now working, thank you following through in attempting to resolve the issue I have been experiencing. 

Hello,

with 'device' you mean the VC device and not the Cisco switch I assume...

Either way, glad you got the issue resolved !

Hello

On the same port attach another host other than this VC and give it the same addressing.

If you can ping it then i would say the VC device is questionable

also used broadcast address 255.255.255.255 from the vlan interface 192.168.10.1

This isnt the broadcast address for that vlan, the broadcast address will be 192.168.10.255

Perfrom a ping to this and you should receive reply from all hosts active on that subnet providing nothing is negating it

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

paul,

Yes I have already ping the broadcast address and got responses from other devices with the exception of the device under discussion. 

I thank you noticing the wrong broadcast address stated in my previous reply which was used as an example address. 

I agree that the device could be faulty and I will start contacting the vendor. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card