Helpful
Replies

3945 Password recovery disabled - not accept Crtl Break

Bernardo_c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I have a 3945 with C3900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.4(3)M5

The router was acquired used and the password recovery was disabled. It's ok for me since I don't want to recover. I just want to blank all the configurations.

The problem is that, the router don't accept Ctrl+C , Ctrl Break, and any key combinations. I tried to send a Break command directly from Putty...don't work.

The boot just show me Password recover service disabled, pauses for many seconds and even keying and sending Brk command, the router continue to boot up until the login screen.

Any hint for the newbie guy?

Thanks

Bernardo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So you want to go into ROMMON, right?
So what happens if you eject the CF and reboot the router? Does it go into ROMMON?

Hi Leo ! Thanks for your fast reply!

Yes. I want to go to ROMMON to clean the configurations.

If I remove the compact flash, the router enter in a reboot loop, showing the messages below:

System Bootstrap, Version 15.0(1r)M8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2010 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Total memory size = 1024 MB - DIMM0 = 512 MB, DIMM1 = 512 MB
CISCO3945-CHASSIS with C3900-SPE150/K9 with 1048576 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 72/72(dimm 0/1) bit mode with ECC enabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized
PASSWORD RECOVERY FUNCTIONALITY IS DISABLED
Compact Flash0: Not present

Any hint? I have another 512Mb CF (blank) to format and insert a new IOS, but I don't know where to download it.

Thanks

Bernardo

Ok, so you have the CF removed, right?
Use a multi-card reader and insert the CF.
The config of the router should be stored in the CF. Erase that.

Leo, answering your questions below:

Ok, so you have the CF removed, right? Yes, then the router enters in loop, booting

Use a multi-card reader and insert the CF. - I used it - see the files in the attached picture. As I know the config file is startup-config - it's not present - the *.cfg file present, I renamed it for *.old - then the router booted as before, no big difference.

The config of the router should be stored in the CF. Erase that - renaming (the extension) as I did before don't make the same effect than deleted?

I'm afraid to play too much with the actual CF and loose all. I'm trying to use an 512Mb CF, but seems the router don't recognize it, even using a 256Mb partition. It's a hardware limitation?

Where is the "startup-config" file ? I don't see it (my flag show hidden files are on - observe I used Linux and Windows to see the CF content)

Go HERE.

Hi Leo, after some research and tries, I solved it !

Was just timing when to send the Brk command...

I was sending before the router unpacking the image.

Seeing this post (https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/no-service-password-recovery/td-p/1753937) I tried and solved..Was a beginner issue

Thanks for your efforts!

Best wishes,

Bernardo

Hi @Bernardo_c i still have the same problems !!! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card