cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4 stack member switch , removed one switch - is removed switch retain all configuration

lerner cisco
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I got  4  3750 series switch stack member  , plan was remove one switch  that is 2nd switch in stack member which was  stack master . the uplink trunks configured on the first switch  member that is Gi 1/0/49 & Gi 1/0/50 .

Once 2 nd stack member switch removed , and connected SFP on the port Gi 1/0/49 - trunk was not coming up , would like to understand , once the  2nd stack member switch removed from the stack  , it will become a master and retain all  configuration including ports  that is Gi 1/0/1-52 to Gi 4/0/1-52

before removing the switch  switch provision command exist  , my thinking the removed switch also have all the provision commands on the switch and with all port configuration  Gi 1/0/1-52 to Gi 4/0/1 -52 ??   please suggest

switch 1 provision ws-c3750e-48pd
switch 2 provision ws-c3750e-48pd
switch 3 provision ws-c3750e-48pd
switch 4 provision ws-c3750e-48pd

Regards

Lerner

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Every stack member keeps a copy of the stack config.  I.e. it doesn't matter which switch is "master".

When you removed switch #2, and booted alone, yes it would be the stack master, but it still would be switch #2 so it would not have switch #1 ports, including the uplinks.

If you want the removed switch #2 to become switch #1, when running alone, it might work if you renumber the switch member to #1.  (This also, I believe, requires switches number 1 and 2 to be the same model, and from what you've posted, that appears to be true.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Every stack member keeps a copy of the stack config.  I.e. it doesn't matter which switch is "master".

When you removed switch #2, and booted alone, yes it would be the stack master, but it still would be switch #2 so it would not have switch #1 ports, including the uplinks.

If you want the removed switch #2 to become switch #1, when running alone, it might work if you renumber the switch member to #1.  (This also, I believe, requires switches number 1 and 2 to be the same model, and from what you've posted, that appears to be true.)

thank you , tested yesterday during installation it holds  sw# 2 port number that is G 2/0/1 -48 , renumbered the switch , got through , thanks again

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card