Views
Helpful
Replies

4G modlue for 2951

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,         

What are my options for using/installing/configuring a 4G card on a 2951 for a redundant back up solution? Is the module slot with the sim card the only way to deploy it?

Any good docs on the install?

Thanks, Pat

5 Replies 5

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Pat,

I worked with cellular backup a while ago and remember the biggest issue was keeping a strong signal.

Seemed when the router needed to use the cell backup, the signal was weak. Strange. Would switch between 4G and 3G.

Could have been the provider and or the local tower.

Remember 3G does not encrypt the outter headers as 4G does.

HTH

Frank

What do you mean outer headers? Is the payload encrypted?

Outer headers to hide your "personal" cell details, you data payload is not encrypted unless configured on your end I.E. IPsec - should you desire privacy.

Cell provider is also very important. With the right cell provider, in non-emergency mode, data flows without issues. If in National/Local emergency mode, consider the cell backup link 99% useless; even if you are paying for top level QoS, you will never be top level QOS. 3-letter govt agencies always come first.

Frank

I actually used this for a one person Home user solution. Actually their connection is 3G off a 881 router. The router also has a 7965 phone hanging off it and it works. But, it is only one person.

. . . and btw, it appears you are using the Cisco internal cell soultion. Another option - as your original questions - there is also the Raven and Cradlepoint mobile cellular broadband solutions that work wonderfully. The Raven is manageable from remote via a secure connection.

HTH

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: