Views
Helpful
Replies

4Port T1/E1Clear Channel HWIC

David Grimm
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I've recently began using a 2921 with two 4 port T1/E1 clear channel cards. I'm using these with 1.544Mb T1 circuits. After almost 2 hours of putting this router in production I finally figured out the configuration of the T1 slots, channel-groups, and timeslots. I am a little confused on this newer technology and was wondering if someone could better explain the whole deal with channel-groups and timeslots? It seems to be working just fine but I want to make sure I'm completely on the right track.

The configuration I'm using that works is:

Configure each of the T1 controllers with channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

That creates the actual serial interfaces for me, I assign the necessary PPP IPs and I'm good to go.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

T1 (DS1) consists of 24 channels (DS0), each with 64kbps (or 56) speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signal_1

In order to create a serial interface you need to tell it how many and which channels constitute that interface (you could have a fractional T1 with channels 1 through 5 for example). Clear channel only interface simply means that it doesn't support fractional T1 and can only do full 24-channel T1.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

T1 (DS1) consists of 24 channels (DS0), each with 64kbps (or 56) speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signal_1

In order to create a serial interface you need to tell it how many and which channels constitute that interface (you could have a fractional T1 with channels 1 through 5 for example). Clear channel only interface simply means that it doesn't support fractional T1 and can only do full 24-channel T1.

David Grimm
Level 1
Level 1

Ok... Makes complete sense now, I was thinking about it too hard butts much clearer now!

Thank you

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco