cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5505 with RV042 - outside ip address?

Flipper35
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5505 with and just purchased an VR042 to make use of the two internet connections we have. (We have web based apps and absolutely need access 24/7). I wasn't here when the 5505 was set up and I am not that familiar with it, but I think this is a simple question. It is currently hooked up to a DSL modem with a built in router and the outside address for the 5505 is set to the public IP address for the DSL connection. I am guessing that is for the VPN and I won't need to change that when I put the RV042 in place, or will I need both public addresses to use both internet connections? Using only one for the VPN is fine.

3 Replies 3

benhanson
Level 1
Level 1

It's really no that simple. If the DSL modem has a built in router, then it will have the public IP address and it will establish a LAN subnet, then the WAN interface of the 5505 will have a different IP address on the LAN subnet defined by the DSL modem.

If the 5505 has a public IP address, that would usually imply that the DSL modem is not actually addressed.

These 2 scenarios are quite different

nsn-amagruder
Level 5
Level 5

What is the RV042 being installed? Redundancy/failover?

If you want failover/redundancy with different broadband carriers, I would suggest getting a second ASA 5505 with a Security Plus License and a license upgrade for your other ASA if it doesn't have sec plus installed. This will give you failover and dual isp support without mixing a different system in.

DSL modems can bridge the ip addresses through so they are added to on the ASA and not the modem. Most likely PPPoE or oATM.

Aaron

NonStop Networks

http://www.nonstopnetworks.net

The RV042 is was intended to be used to load balance the connection and that would naturally provide a failover if one connection was lost. It is hooked up to a cable modem and a DSL modem. Since I was not familiar with the 5505 and it was already installed with the DSL modem and the cable modem active but not connected to our network I talked with a Cisco rep first and this is what I ended up with. I don't think a second ASA is in the budget at this time. I am guessing a static route to the gateway address on the router isn't going to help?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card