cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508-X “Advanced Routing” scenario (Connecting 2 seperate established Subnets)

fbeye
Level 4
Level 4

Hello... I posted an extremely similar discussion but I believe I may have explained it and myself incorrectly. Thank you regardless to those who assisted.

Here is my situation; I have 2 already established and functioning networks.

Router 1, 10.0.1.1, is giving out 10.0.1.101-10.0.1.120.

Router 2, 10.0.2.1, is giving out 10.0.2.101-10.0.2.120

Both of those Routers are residential WiFi Routers and they themselves have static IPS through Cisco 5508-X and both have Internet access.

What I want to do is create a link between both LANS of each router. 

Simply put, I want anyone on 10.0.1.x to access (specifically) my NAS on 10.0.2.115.

I know that to connect 2 Networks I need a L3 Device... 

Would I be able to utilize Gigabitethernet 6 and 7 to link both routers? They need no internet access GE 6 and 7 only access to connect to the other LAN.

I am to believe each Interface on my 5508 is L3 so I thought this would be a solution.

where I am lost at is how to deploy this. Such as would the GE 6&7 be their own Subnets or would they use an up from each router they connect to like 10.0.1.114 and 10.0.2.114 to extend off the WiFi routers. Would i need NAT for both interfaces to communicate? As I said I just want straight across the board access. I was also thinking of making both 6/7 security level 90 opposed to 100 as my other interfaces.

any guidence  would be wonderful 

33 Replies 33

As embarrassing as it is to say I must admit that what you said went over my head.

What you ask is correct; Each Router is it's Subnets own Gateway and so on. I have 5 [usable] Static IP's so I assigned 1 to each Router for fun.
The reason I have 2 Routers sitting 2 feet from one another is because I want every device I have to be on the VPN but Online Banking and Netflix/Hulu won't permit offshore access so that is why. The NAS is also an absolute need to be on the VPN. This is where the problem for me is. I want to be able to stream whatever movies or music I have on my NAS (10.0.2.111) on my TV on the 10.0.1.x Subnet. As I am to assume is the same for all VPN's, the OpenVPN (on my DDWRT), creates the tunnel to its destination so nothing, absolutely nothing, can enter through the WAN side unless I initiate a connection through the VPN. This is where my ASA no matter what configuration I use will be allowed in. This is where the idea of connecting both routers on the LAN side came in. I figured my small setup would be no different than a subnet on floor 55 connecting to a subnet on floor 255 through a L3 Switch or Router.
As far as the configurations on my wifi Routers, they are simple get them at Best Buy kinda deals. I am not knowledgeable with them to the extent beyond what their general configurations are. I am do stuff like IP Route or DHCP Server etc on them but they come very locked down for customer configurations.
I hope this is more helpful but I am not sure how to explain it well.

As I did mention in a different reply, I am not stone set on using the 5508 to connect both subnets and thought the SG350 L3 Switch would be an option.

thank you

Is the trouble I am having relating to the fact that the 2 Subnets are already established and the Cisco wants to be the “server”? 

In your original post you correctly state that for the 2 subnets to communicate that you need a L3 device to forward traffic between them. Through the following discussion I have been assuming that the most logical solution would be to have your ASA5508 perform that function. The ASA is a L3 device that is forwarding traffic and it is already in the path used by the smaller routers. Now I have looked at the configuration of the ASA that you posted and realize that the situation is more complicated than I had realized. It appears that the smaller routers are performing address translation as they forward traffic toward their default gateway (which is the ASA). So the ASA does not know anything about subnets 10.0.1 or 10.0.2. So in the current situation the ASA can not perform the routing between those subnets.

I believe that there are several approaches that you could use, but each of the approaches has difficulty associated with it.

1) you could change the configuration of the smaller routers and have them not do address translation on traffic they are forwarding to their default gateway. This would allow the ASA to have visibility to those subnets and to forward traffic between them. But changing the configuration of the smaller routers may be more complicated than you want to undertake.

2) you could establish a connection directly between the smaller routers (which seems to be what you have in the drawing that you posted). This would allow traffic between the subnets to flow directly between the smaller routers and bypass the ASA and the address translation of the smaller routers. But this would require configuring new interfaces on the smaller routers and require changing the routing logic to forward traffic for the subnets differently than it forwards other traffic and might be more complicated than you want to undertake.

Given the architecture that you started with where the 2 smaller routers each have its own subnet and doing address translation as they forward traffic toward their default gateway, I do not see a solution that does not require significant changes in the smaller routers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I thank you for the information. It does make sense.. Just by going over my Router 1 GUI I can see that it has absolutely no configuration options for what you mention.. Router 2 does as it’s a DDWRT custom Firmware and can do a lot but without both being able to it seems to be a done deal. 

The reality of the situation is that it can not be done and I accept that but my inquisitive mind doesn’t know why.

what is the reason that, let’s say a L3 Switch and remove the complexity of a router, I can’t have 2 interfaces be programmed 1 with an ip from 1 subnet and 1 be programmed with an ip from another subnet and then have nat say this interfaces crosses over to this interface? Isn’t that the nature of nat?

i ask out of ignorance so I hope I come across as curious and not stubborn. I just thought a switch would “switch” from one subnet to another via nat.

Hi,

what is the reason that, let’s say a L3 Switch and remove the complexity of a router, I can’t have 2 interfaces be programmed 1 with an ip from 1 subnet and 1 be programmed with an ip from another subnet and then have nat say this interfaces crosses over to this interface? Isn’t that the nature of nat?

Where you want to perform NAT? On Switch? The NAT is not available on all switches. It is available on a few higher level switches (NX Series)

Regards,

Deepak Kumar 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

I will find a refurbished budget friendly Nexus 3548 if this will do what I need it to do.
As you say, far and few L3 Switches have nat, My 5508-X can not be set the way I want with 2 independent Interfaces with nat for the 2 Subnets as I have mentioned so if buying a Nexus 3548 will make all this crazy go away, I’ll do it.

Perhaps I have missed something or am not understanding something in what you are asking. Where is it that you suggest substituting a L3 switch for a router?

The essential part of the current problem is that you have 2 small routers/home routers. Each of them has a connected subnet. Each of them is the default gateway for the devices connected in that subnet. Each of them is doing address translation as it forwards traffic from its connected devices. And it appears that at least one of them does not support making changes in the packet forwarding logic or the address translation logic.

If you are willing to give up the 2 small routers/home routers then connecting those devices in 2 vlans on a switch would be easy and would make it easy for devices in one subnet to communicate with devices in the other subnet. It could be a layer 3 switch to do the routing. Or it could be a layer 2 switch and let the ASA do the routing.

The reason that the ASA can not do the routing in your current environment is that the source addresses have already been translated by the time the packet gets to the ASA. So the ASA has no visibility of where 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 are and is not able to route between them.

HTH

Rick

[edit] Just to be clear about your statement

"My 5508-X can not be set the way I want with 2 independent Interfaces"

It is not an issue about ASA with 2 independent interfaces. The ASA certainly can be configured with 2 independent interfaces. The issue is that the ASA has no visibility about where the subnets are. If a device sends a request to the NAS, when it gets to the ASA then the ASA has no idea where that destination address is or how to forward to it.

HTH

Rick

Good Morning

Let me respond to the edit first... I understand what you mean that the ASA can be independent but how does it know?

That is why I thought by doing an IP Route or a NAT from Interface 7 (10.0.1.115) to Interface 8 (10.0.2.115) that they would then have a route between themselves. 

I assumed that assigning each designated Interface an IP from their respective Subnets that those Interfaces would then become part of their Networks then by adding NAT or IP Route that that would be their (ASA) “how does it know”. 

With the first part.. I meant instead of going back into the 5508 could I just have a Switch, like the nexus (or any L3 Switch I can configure) and connect each subnet then configure it like “incoming from 10.0.1.115 will translate to 10.0.2.115 and then follow its path to the 10.0.2.111 NAS. Maybe this isn’t even practical, logical or capable in any circumstance. 

My thought was to configure interfaces with an IP from their subnet and then just translate one to the other. 

It seems the end of your first post before the edit answers this all together that the NAT has already been done by the smaller routers for 10.0.1.x just can’t see 10.0.2.x.

I would absolutely love to remove both smaller routers and create a vlan so all devices are same same subnet but there are 2 devices on the 10.0.2.x that absolutely need to be on that VPN at all times and the VPN I use requires OpenVPN/DDWRT. It’s a privacy VPN. 

My only othet way way to do this, which is not the path i want, is to merge everything onto the VPN router and create an access list of which IP’s I want on the vpn and not.. But I have heard stories of this failing at times and the VPN dropping. 

Hopes this makes sense. 

Hi,

My only othet way way to do this, which is not the path i want, is to merge everything onto the VPN router and create an access list of which IP’s I want on the vpn and not.. But I have heard stories of this failing at times and the VPN dropping. 

No, If both ends configured properly then you will not face this issue.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Do you mean that if both ends are configured correctly that I can set this all up the way I want to or that my VPN wont drop if I configure an IP list on the VPN router?

There are a couple of things that I would like to clarify. And then I will try to explain a bit differently what I see as the key issue here.

1) you have mentioned several times using a switch (probably layer 3 but perhaps layer 2). Where would that switch be? What would it connect to?

The arrow between subnets in your drawing seems to suggest that the switch might be there. But how would that work? Would the PCs and servers connect to the switch or to the wireless router? How would the switches interact with the routing being down by the residential wireless routers?

2) you have mentioned connecting interfaces 7 (10.0.1.115) and 8 (10.0.2.115). Am I correct in assuming that these are interfaces on the ASA? If so what are they connecting to? Are you suggesting that they would connect to ports on the residential wireless routers? You could certainly do this, but how would they interact with the routing being done by the residential wireless routers?

So let me try to explain the issue this way. Let us assume that there is a PC with IP address 10.0.1.59 and it wants to communicate with the NAS at 10.0.2.111. The PC will determine that the destination is remote and that it needs to forward the packet to its default gateway, which is the residential wireless router 1. router 1 will determine that the destination (10.0.2.111) is remote and that it does not have a route to that network, so it forwards the packet to its default route, which is the ASA and as it forwards the packet it does address translation on the source address. The packet gets to the ASA which looks at the destination address (10.0.2.115) and determines that it does not know a route to that network so it will attempt to forward that packet out its outside interface and goes out into the Internet where it eventually gets dropped.

The issue that I see is that neither 1) nor 2) have any way to change that routing logic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello

Alright, I see where you are getting.

First of all yes this L3 Switch would sit between both residential routers.  Nothing would be plugged into it except 1 going to each residential routers, being only used as a bridge between residential routers. Let’s say, port 1 would be configured as 10.0.1.115 as an extension/device such as a PC from the 10.0.1.1 subnet and then port 2 would be configured as 10.0.2.115 from its 10.0.2.1 subnet. 

I thought maybe it was possible to bridge the 2. 

For example, in this L3 Switch make a NAT entry or the likes saying “anything coming in on port 1 10.0.1.115 from 10.0.1.0 would be redirected to 10.0.2.115 (more specifically 10.0.2.111) and then onto that subnet. And then on the 10.0.1.1 Router create an IP route through the hops.

This may have you smacking your forehead if it’s just laughable an not even a capability of Routers but that was my thought process. I am just explaining my questions of cannot be done and won’t press on if it’s just something that can’t be done.

It certainly is possible to implement a layer 3 switch and to connect a switch interface to each of the routers. And it certainly is possible to configure 2 vlans and to assign each of the switch interfaces to a vlan, and to configure vlan interfaces for the 2 subnets. In doing this you do not need (and do not want) any address translation. You would need a route configured on each of the routers for the other user subnet with the switch interface as the next hop. And I believe this is the problem because you have told us that one of the routers seems to not have support for configuring additional routes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Good Evening

Thank you for your continued assistance with this.

What I gather is that on said L3 Switch(I was thinking about my SG350) and creating 2 vlans and assigning an IP from each subnet to each vlan and then the vlans to an Interface on the switch. So Interface 1 on switch will be associated to a vlan100 w/ an IP of 10.0.1.115 and with Interface 2 it would be 10.0.2.115 but with vlan200.

Now if 10.0.1.x is the initiating Subnet would I also need an IP Route on the 10.0.2.x? I ask because with the current firmware of DDWRT my ability to add an IP Route does not function. If I absolutely do need to do an IP route for some reversal reason, I will find a modified firmware that does support it.

You mention the next hop... So on my 10.0.1.x would I have an IP Route such 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115? Or would I need to specify 10.0.2.111 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115? Or does it need to hit the Router IP to communicate with the other IP's so 10.0.2.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115.

With the TPLink it goes : Destination, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Interface (LAN or WAN) which I know for my ASA would be "route 'interface' 'network'  'Subnet' 'Gateway' and 'Metric" (hops?)

Hi,

Now if 10.0.1.x is the initiating Subnet would I also need an IP Route on the 10.0.2.x? I ask because with the current firmware of DDWRT my ability to add an IP Route does not function. If I absolutely do need to do an IP route for some reversal reason, I will find a modified firmware that does support it.

Yes, You will a route require at both small routers.

You mention the next hop... So on my 10.0.1.x would I have an IP Route such 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115? Or would I need to specify 10.0.2.111 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115? Or does it need to hit the Router IP to communicate with the other IP's so 10.0.2.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.115.

You will need route in such format: 

Route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.115 (10.0.2.0/24 is the destination subnet/network and 10.0.1.115 is the next hope (Switch IP address which will responsible for routing.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card