cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5921 smart licensing

sp2720401
Level 1
Level 1

I downloaded and installed the 5921 ESR and requested a demo license through the cisco portal. The problem I am having is that there is no way for me to disable the smart license feature?

The command "no license smart enable" does not exist. Without this I cannot install the demo license that I downloaded from Cisco.

6 Replies 6

Hello,

looking at the configuration guide, you can indeed not disable the smart licensing feature:

The Cisco 5921 ESR uses a virtual Unique Device Identifier (UDI) from the software that you input into
the license registration tool on cisco.com to acquire a software license. The Cisco 5921 ESR uses a
virtual UDI because it is not a hardware-based platform with a fixed UDI. You use the license
management commands to determine the license needed, generate a UDI, acquire and activate a software
license and verify that the license installed correctly.
The following license commands are available on the Cisco 5921 ESR:
• license clear
• license install
• license udi generate
• show license
• show license file
• show license udi [history]

Did you generate the UDI ?

I have the UDI and also the resultant license file. I put it in the /opt/cisco/c5921 directory according to the instructions... but the commands for license do not exist but the file is available in flash.

• license clear
• license install
• license udi generate

I can only enter

"license smart"

The only configuration guides I can get state that once you disable smart the classic license functions are enabled. I am going to assume that older versions of 5921 can enable classic license model but the new versions of 5921 can only do smart licensing. Kind of defeats the purpose of virtual mobility in vehicles if they always have to reach back to a licensing server or be connected to a smart license system just to deploy. Getting stuck with the 5915, 5930, and 5940 hardware based platforms is very limiting.

omnitecjd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

What IOS version of 5921 you're running?

rudimocnik
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

Did you find a solution?

I have exact same problem running cisco c5921 version 15.5(3)M. I have the .lic file that I generated from my udi and I copied it to flash on the c5921. However the #license install command is not available in user enable mode. 

license commands available:

#license ?
smart Smart licensing

That is all. Is there a solution to this?

Are you running in a VM or are you running it baremetal? Cisco's Integration Guide says that only Smart Licensing is available on a VM. A baremetal install can use either Classic or Smart Licensing.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/GGSG-Engineering/Cisco_5921/Cisco_5921_ESR_Integration.pdf

Thanks for reply. I have already found a solution.

We are running c5921 as a VM on Klas trx-r6 a hypervisor that is ruggedized physical appliance. In this case the only way to license c5921 is with SMART.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card