cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206 router and channel-groups

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 7206 router with 6 T1 lines bound together in a multilink.

3 are on a 4 port T1 controller card, the other three are on a serial port card with CSU/DSUs.

I am going to change out the CSU/DSUs for another T1 controller card.

The existing T1 controller has all three T1s on channel-group 0.

When installing the additional T1 controller, do I create a new channel-group or can I add the new T1 controllers to the same channel group?

All six T1s need to bind together

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You need to create a new channel-group. This will create a new serial interface that you will add to the multilink bundle.

Hope this helps please rate post if it does!

Thanks,

on the existing controller, three T1s are being used and all three have the same channel-group number(channel-group 0).

Do I give all the additional three T1s the same channel-group number of 1?

Hi Wilson,

The channel-group ID can be replicated as many times you want in the router, and using 0 for all controllers is correct.

The resulting serial interface will be differentiated anyway by the slot/port number, even if the last digits will always be ":0".

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Yea, thanks, it hit me after I wrote that that it was per interface.

One thing though, after the module swap and all six T1s are back part of the multilink, I see the old interfaces showing up as "inactive" when I do a "sh ppp multilink"

6 active

3 inactive

How can that be if the interfaces do not exist any longer?, I replaced the serial port module with the T1 controller module in the same slot.

How do I remove them from the multilink?

Mostly this happens when you do not remove the old interface configuration and just swap the modules.

The interfaces go to deleted state which can be seen from the sh ip int brief command.

It would require a reboot to clear these interfaces

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card