Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n functionaity on a Cisco 2504 WLAN Controller

bclark00111
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I have a query about how to enable the 802.11n wireless range on a Cisco 2504 WLAN Controller.

I currently have a 2504 WLAN Controller running software version 7.2.110.0, with ranges 802.11a/n and 802.11a/g/n running at a 3/5GHz frequency.

I want to know if I can enable 802.11n on this WLAN controller.

From my understanding the 802.11ac module is turned off if the inbuilt 5GHz radio is also turned off. However, this is not the case. The range is also supposedly supported on the 2504 WLAN controller according to the spec sheet (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/2500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-645111.html).

My question is are these the only parameters needed to enable 802.11n? The parameters being frequency 5GHz being enabled and the controller being in the 2500 series. Shguld I be able to enable 802.11n on the 2504 WLAN controller running software version 7.2.110.0?

Many thanks for in advance for any input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nicolasccc
Level 4
Level 4

Hello bclark,

802.11n is available on your WLC 2504 using WLC 7.2.110.0

Here is the link to the configuration guide in order to activate 802.11n:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_controller_setting.html#wp2289944

Use the 802.11n data rates that you configured by enabling WMM on the WLAN as follows:
a) Choose WLANs to open the WLANs page.
b) Click the ID number of the WLAN for which you want to configure WMM mode.
c) When the WLANs > Edit page appears, choose the QoS tab to open the WLANs > Edit (Qos) page.
d) From the WMM Policy drop-down list, choose Required or Allowed to require or allow client devices to use WMM.
Devices that do not support WMM cannot join the WLAN.
If you choose Allowed, devices that cannot support WMM can join the WLAN but will not benefit from the 802.11n
rates.
e) Click Apply.

You also need to make sure that your APs are compatible with 802.11n

I have follow the configuration guide step for one of my customer recently and it worked fine.

I hope this helps you.

Have a good day

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Suggest you move this thread to the Wireless forums where you should get the help you need.

Jon

nicolasccc
Level 4
Level 4

Hello bclark,

802.11n is available on your WLC 2504 using WLC 7.2.110.0

Here is the link to the configuration guide in order to activate 802.11n:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_controller_setting.html#wp2289944

Use the 802.11n data rates that you configured by enabling WMM on the WLAN as follows:
a) Choose WLANs to open the WLANs page.
b) Click the ID number of the WLAN for which you want to configure WMM mode.
c) When the WLANs > Edit page appears, choose the QoS tab to open the WLANs > Edit (Qos) page.
d) From the WMM Policy drop-down list, choose Required or Allowed to require or allow client devices to use WMM.
Devices that do not support WMM cannot join the WLAN.
If you choose Allowed, devices that cannot support WMM can join the WLAN but will not benefit from the 802.11n
rates.
e) Click Apply.

You also need to make sure that your APs are compatible with 802.11n

I have follow the configuration guide step for one of my customer recently and it worked fine.

I hope this helps you.

Have a good day

Hey all,

I've moved this to the wireless thread instead.

Many thanks for all of your help,

Ben.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card