Views
Helpful
Replies

805 router - dialin async

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello all

Need some help here.. i have a 805 router with a serial int. need async connections on this router. so, i have connected a modem to the serial int for dial in connections, & connected the phone line onto the modem..

Now, for some reason, the calls arent landing, though the router has detected the modem type/speed etc.

my configs on the serial are

int serial 0

physical layer async

ip unnumbered ethernet0

dialer in-band

async mode interactive

async default routing

encap ppp

ppp authentication chap

peer default ip address 1.1.1.1

line tty 1

modem inout

login local

modem autoconfigure discovery

transport input all

flowcontrol hardware

username test password test.

am not getting any useful info on the debugs. i did a debug all, and could see the tty coming up/going down. thats it.

am i missing something ? can anybody guide me ???

Raj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Raj,

Since async interactive mode is configured on the serial interface, I think "autoselect ppp" should be configured on the line. I am just guessing that the router will not start ppp otherwise.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Raj,

Since async interactive mode is configured on the serial interface, I think "autoselect ppp" should be configured on the line. I am just guessing that the router will not start ppp otherwise.

hi hussein.

thanks for ur input.. i tried configuring it, but the router didnt accept that.. autoselect command wasnt present in that 805 router.. has this setup ever worked ?? am sure it will.. right ???

Raj

any ideas on this shanky, milan, robert, hussein n all others ???

Raj

I got the IOS upgraded and added the commands "autoselect ppp" and dialer idle timeout and got the problem resolved. thanks hussein...

Raj,

Did you check whether, a reset to defaults on the interface configs, (with your old IOS) and autoselect ppp help ?

Also once you upgrade the IOS to new version, did you try without the autoselect ppp ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hello sachin i'm facing the same problem.Please let me know the ios version which you upgraded.rt now i have 12.2(15)T13.

but in this i can see one command in config mode.

autodetect encapsulation PPP

will this help .

pls suggest.

Regds

binoy

Hi Binoy

I used 12.2(28a) IOS..c805-y6-mw.122-28a was the IOS.. am attaching the configuration file with this. hope this helps for you...

Raj

Sachin thanks for ur input and sachin i believe 12.2(28a) is the latest ios rt?

and in your configuration i cannot see the dialer string configuration.which modem ru using?.

here in my scenario i'm using U.S robotics modem.so for that any special chat-script required.

kindly help i'm in a very bad situation.

Regds

Binoy.

Binoy,

yeah .. me too using a US robotics modem.. the modem is connected onto the smart serial interface of the router using a cable. am using this setup for dialin calls and not for dialout.. so no dialer strings needed . it works well with the config attached in my previous post...

Raj

sachin

for me i need to configure both the dialing end and accepting end.

i believe the configuration which you gave me is receiving end.Can u give me the configuration for dial out.

Regds

Binoy.

Hello Binoy,

You can have a look at this URL:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094579.shtml

have the configs of the async interface on the serial interface of ur 805..

hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card