cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

877w router and vlans

alan.morris
Level 1
Level 1

I have an elderly 877W router that is doing sterling service except that it does not   support ADSL2+ (UK), so I have invested in a new modem and plan to connect it to one of the ethernet ports and am having problems doing so.

I have created a vlan assigned a ethernet port to it configured it as an access port, but the line protocol is down on the vlan but up on the Ethernet port. Using "sho IP switchport" the Ethernet port shows inactive in the VLAN section. NOW The 877 is configured with two vlans already, the native one and one additional, and when I created the extra vlan it said the maximum number exceeded, but configured it anyway. i have read that the 877 has a maximum of 4 vlans.

In addition there are two wireless VLANs that do not appear in the interface list of SDM but do in the wireless applet, the latter not showing the ones in SDM. I must admit to n ot fully understanding the existence of what seems to be two

independent VLANs, one set wireless the other ethernet type.

If anyone has any thoughts on this matter I am happy to provide more detail and would

welcome suggestions.

2 Replies 2

vishal vyas
Level 1
Level 1

could you please check the output of # show vlan, you should be seeing the vlans you have created and inf not then please create L2 vlan first

# vlan xx

# name xx

#exit

Hi vishalvyas

Using command line I can created the VLAN first but when I try to add the Ethernet port to it I get maximum of two VLANs message. Looks like this is a limit in this 877 ?

Regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card