cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881w - 802.11n, what happened to 40 MHz channel width?

thomasmcleod
Level 1
Level 1

For those of us who like to maximize 802.11n bandwidth with channel bonding, configuring the Dot11Radio interface in the integrated AP with "channel width 40-above" can essentially double bandwidth in areas with available WiFi channels. See page 9-13 in Cisco 860 Series, Cisco 880 Series, and Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers Software Configuration Guide, for documentation.

However, when I attempted to do just what the Guide says on a recently purchased 881w, I found that the option is not allowed. Why?

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

860W & 880W built-in AP is only 802.11b/g.

You won't be able to do channel-bonding with 2.4 Ghz.

Actually it's speced as 802.11n and I'm getting single channel n speeds. Also, for years I've been able to get dual channel bonding with 861w, but this unit with an integrated antennae has the command removed.

I am suspecting you were able to get channel bonding (with 2.4 Ghz) because you were using old IOS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

The IOS version of the last router that had bonding enbled was 12.4(20)T1.

The IOS version of the last router that had bonding enbled was 12.4(20)T1.

Not the router.  The IOS of the AP.

AP version on older unit is 12.4(10b)JA3

Yes.  I think those will do.

So, the old version had bonding capability but the new version doesn't? The new version is 12.4(25d)JAX.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card