Views
Helpful
Replies

887VAG-W with 3G cell modem

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Hi.

I've been asked to configure a C887VAGW router with a DSL service and a 3G backup modem for internet traffic by my boss.

He wants a whole shitload of stuff on it (at least two wireless SSID's, VPN's, god knows what else) which I can mainly figure out, but I'm stuck on configuring the 3G modem.

Apparently, the 3G modems on these don't support PPP - and I can't get the SLIP they do support working.

Can anyone point to a decent set of configuration examples for this router? It'd be nice if there was some hints on getting the wireless bridging working (this has a built-in WAP controller, which is compeltely different from the only other 887 with wireless I've ever conigured, so I'm fumbling in the dark a bit on that one too), but getting the DSL and 3G working is my priority for now.

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies 8

mvdburg
Level 1
Level 1

I have for the 3G part the a working config for a C881G for Vodafone NL if you want.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I'm in AU, not NL, but I'll look at your config anyway, if you're willing to share it. Likely the only difference would be maybe the profile anwyay.

You can send it to me privately or dump it here, as it pleases you.

Thanks a bunch.

Sorry had some other issues to attend to....

The setup for this config was permanent 3G connectivity I hope you can adjust the settings for your provider.

So this was the config I used, Good luck

no service pad
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
service internal
!
hostname C881G
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
enable secret 5 1234567890!@#$%^&*()
no aaa new-model
!
memory-size iomem 10
!
!
ip domain name wishyouwherehere.local
ip inspect WAAS flush-timeout 10
ip inspect name fromlan http
ip inspect name fromlan https
ip inspect name fromlan telnet
ip cef
no ipv6 cef
!
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
chat-script vodafone "" "ATDT*99*1#" TIMEOUT 30 "CONNECT"
license udi pid CISCO881G-K9 sn FCZxxxxxxxx
!
!
controller Cellular 0
!
interface Loopback0
ip address 192.0.2.1 255.255.255.255
!
interface FastEthernet0
description TRUNK TO SWITCH 1
no ip address
switchport mode trunk
speed 100
duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet1
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet2
description TRUNK TO SWITCH 2
no ip address
switchport mode trunk
speed 100
duplex full
!
interface FastEthernet3
no ip address
!
interface FastEthernet4
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Cellular0
ip address negotiated
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly in
encapsulation ppp
load-interval 30
dialer in-band
dialer idle-timeout 0
dialer string vodafone
dialer-group 1
async mode interactive
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap hostname vodafone@live.vodafone.com
ppp chap password 7 15040408052C242A2D
ppp ipcp dns request
ppp timeout authentication 30
!
interface Vlan1
ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip virtual-reassembly in
!
ip forward-protocol nd
ip http server
ip http secure-server
!
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0
!
dialer-list 1 protocol ip list 1
!
!
!
!
!
control-plane
!

!
line con 0
exec-timeout 120 0
login local
transport output all
stopbits 1
line aux 0
line 3
script dialer vodafone
modem InOut
no exec
transport input all
speed 80000
line vty 0 4
exec-timeout 15 0
login
transport input all
transport output all
!
end

Marc.

Thanks for that - can yout ell me what IOS version you're running onj that router?

Cheers.

stuartmcgrath
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there Darren,

Let me know if you need further input as I also use this model router in our environment. Current we use this router in the following formats:

a) DSL only

b) Dsl with 3g backup

c) DSL with 2 x 3g Backups

In addition, I also live in Sydney Australian and know this works with Australia providers. But bacisly with IOS 15.1, you were able to bound it to a dialer interface, however after upgrade to IOS 15.3. I had to bound the connection to Cellular interface. Once you have IP address assign to each interface, we setup static routing betweek the DSL and 3G but with a higher cost value. Let me know if you need more information.

Cheers

Stuart

Stuart.

I'd love to see a sanitised working config of one of these with DSL + 3G backup - because that's what I'm trying to get working.

The wireless stuff I've mostly muddled my way through, but I can't get the damn 3G working. weighted static routing was exactly what I was intending to do - but I've got to get the 3G connected first.

How stable is 15.3? I can upgrade it if it's worthwhile.

Feel free to private message me if you're not happy with posting your config in public. I'm also in Sydney, and I'm trying to make this work with Telstra (yeah, I know, don't hate me - I didn't pick it).

Thanks.

Darren

lol No problems Darren.. I am happy to upload my configuration but I have clean\filter some of our configuration. In this configuration, you are luckly I have left in a small script I design that track our 3g interfaces. It ping a host in our DMZ and if it time out, it setup to change sim card and therefore providers. It still in beta testing but so far, going well. I should also explain that we use a GET VPN technology on our WAN.

As for IOS 15.3, we had to applied it with a new Modem firmware to resolved a Telstra\AAPT dormant issue ie AAPT can't explain why their connection would disconnect after a random period. However as I mention we had to change the Cellular interface design due to dialer profiles and 3g interface. If I had more time to explorer, I would like to go back to use a Dialer profile but at the moment it would assign the IP address to the Cellular interface.

Stuart.

thanks a bunch - I'll work on massaging that into the one I have (when the ever-present demands of Other Stuff(tm) fall somewhere below the "up to my chin" level).

I'll also upgrade it to 15.3 - can't hurt.

Appreciate you sending that.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: