cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A question about QOS

sdawson35
Level 1
Level 1

So we are having an argument here in the office about whether our QOS actually works or not, so I thought I would throw the scenario at the learned folks on here.

We have 2 Cat 6506's each with a gigabit link to a 3845 router running QOS, this in turn connects via a 100 Mb link to a Cat 3560 switch which in turn connects to a piece of vendor kit , the other end of which terminates in the same manner on identical kit in another office of ours.

Given the scenario (additional info can be supplied if needed) does QOS work ?

Regards

Scott.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In general, yes, QoS does work.

Will it work in your scenario?  Don't know, as you have not posted QoS configurations, nor described QoS expectations/requirements, nor described you actual traffic flows/usage.

With the information you have provided, one potential issue is a 3845 can struggle, performance wise, with 100 Mbps.  Assuming though the the 3845 is the 1st major bottleneck (i.e. the 100 Mbps link) fair-queue, alone, configured on that interface might provide about 90% of the benefit of what you can obtain from QoS.

Without getting into an indepth analysis of QoS for your situation (and my consultation billing rates are reasonable ), QoS basically manages constrained bandwidth.  It often works extremely well when you need to guarantee low resource usage demanding flows, e.g. VoIP, not be adversely impacted by concurrent high resource usage demanding flows, e.g. FTP copies of large files.  Properly done, it can even sometimes improve effective performance of high resource usage demanding flows.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card