cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL blocks telnet, but it shouldn't, please help!

Istvan kelemen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have problem with ACL, acl 110 blocks telnet to cisco1 vtp domain to cisco2 and vice versa, however i can telnet to the touter on the top.

And i have an other problem too.. I've tried ospf, eigrp, ripv2. Those didn't work properly the routers didn't learn the full routing table.

Of course split horizont is off. Static route worked fine...

I't a point to point frame relay, R1 is the hub, the 2 routers below are the spokes.

I've attached the packet tracer file, if you want to take a look

interface Serial0/0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

no ip split-horizon

frame-relay interface-dlci 102

ip access-group 110 in

ip nat inside

clock rate 2000000

interface Serial0/0/0.2 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.2.190 255.255.255.192

no ip split-horizon

frame-relay interface-dlci 103

ip access-group 110 in

ip nat inside

clock rate 2000000

access-list 110 permit tcp any any eq 443

access-list 110 permit tcp any any eq www

access-list 110 permit tcp 172.16.20.0 0.0.0.127 host 10.10.10.254 eq ftp

access-list 110 permit tcp any any eq domain

access-list 110 permit udp any any eq domain

access-list 110 permit tcp any any eq telnet

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

acl.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

> I have problem with ACL, acl 110 blocks telnet to cisco1 vtp  domain to cisco2 and vice versa, however i can telnet to the touter on  the top.

Because packets goes to the router which you do telnet but cannot go back. So to make it work you need to add additional rule to permit return traffic from remote router.

access-list 110 permit tcp any eq telnet any

> And  i have an other problem too.. I've tried ospf, eigrp, ripv2. Those  didn't work properly the routers didn't learn the full routing table.

Problem also in ACL #110. You need to permit dynamic routing protocol traffic (OSPF, EIGRP).

access-list 110 permit eigrp any any

Additional you could permit traffic ICMP traffic for diagnostic purpose.

access-list 110 permit icmp any any

Any access-list in Cisco IOS has at the end of ACL has deny any any default rule.

And above link I posted explains this. I just wanted you to find out it by yourself.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

No, actually it permits telnet traffic that goes to the remote router only. It means from any source to any destination device that runs Telnet service. And it's applied inbound direction it means packets go through ACL that entering to interface.

Telnet service on the router will be source of packets that responds to destination router.

And when device responds to that source(that requested connection) it's packets get blocked(deny any  any, at the end of ACL) because there is no match in ACL.

So permit tcp any eq telnet any permits those traffic from remote router.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Have a look on these links try to understand ACL in Cisco IOS then you will solve your problem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#proacl

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#applyacls

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

thanks i'll ready them!

but the question is still open

Hi,

> I have problem with ACL, acl 110 blocks telnet to cisco1 vtp  domain to cisco2 and vice versa, however i can telnet to the touter on  the top.

Because packets goes to the router which you do telnet but cannot go back. So to make it work you need to add additional rule to permit return traffic from remote router.

access-list 110 permit tcp any eq telnet any

> And  i have an other problem too.. I've tried ospf, eigrp, ripv2. Those  didn't work properly the routers didn't learn the full routing table.

Problem also in ACL #110. You need to permit dynamic routing protocol traffic (OSPF, EIGRP).

access-list 110 permit eigrp any any

Additional you could permit traffic ICMP traffic for diagnostic purpose.

access-list 110 permit icmp any any

Any access-list in Cisco IOS has at the end of ACL has deny any any default rule.

And above link I posted explains this. I just wanted you to find out it by yourself.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

thanks it worked fine!

oh thanks, i alwas have problem with traffic which is coming back <3 bro!     

abut the routing problem, i had problem with it before i set the acl up

No, actually it permits telnet traffic that goes to the remote router only. It means from any source to any destination device that runs Telnet service. And it's applied inbound direction it means packets go through ACL that entering to interface.

Telnet service on the router will be source of packets that responds to destination router.

And when device responds to that source(that requested connection) it's packets get blocked(deny any  any, at the end of ACL) because there is no match in ACL.

So permit tcp any eq telnet any permits those traffic from remote router.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

one more question sir!

the acl under is filtering inbound traffic from the internet

if i use those commands hosts from the internet can access ftp,hhtp,https services on my whole inside network

but if i change the highlighted "any" to host 10.10.10.254 which is my inside server, the hosts from the internet cannot access my inside server anymore

access-list 150 permit tcp any any established

access-list 150 permit tcp any any eq ftp

access-list 150 permit tcp any any eq www

access-list 150 permit tcp any any eq 443

anyway there is an inside outside nat rule+port forwarding

global adress is 198.0.18.9 local is 10.10.10.254

If ACL #150 is applied on Internet facing interface you need to use public IP instead of private.

Note. For security reason I would not recommend to use any statement in ACL that applied on outside interface and also would not recommend to post here real public IP for the same reason.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

it is a packe tracer lab, so dont worry m8

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card