Views
Helpful
Replies

Activate ECMP for Hostroutes on Nexus 5500

Sebastian Narp
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

we have some Nexus 5500 and we want to use ECMP for OSPF IPv4 Hostroutes.

I found the Information that you have to activate that explicit - on the Nexus 3000 with the command (seen here)

hardware profile unicast enable-host-ecmp

Do I have do enable that on the Nexus 5500 as well?

Thanks in forward for your help,

Sebastian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I can only confirm what I have without going through the command syntax online for 5k , I checked 4 different types of 5ks there running2 sets of individual images and none of them have that syntax above that the 3k has

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

it should be on by default in opsf as its a link state protocol so if the paths are equal it will LB, for eigrp it also does it by default but like bgp you can specify the actual path amount when equal cost but eigrp on 5k does not support unequal cost LB , the 3k is a low latency switch so it will probably give you more options like the host specific ecmp option you came across

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/unicast/5_0_3_N1_1/Cisco_n5k_layer3_ucast_cfg_rel_503_N1_1/l3_eigrp.html#pgfId-1140580

Configuring Load Balancing in EIGRP

You can configure load balancing in EIGRP. You can configure the number of Equal Cost Multiple Path (ECMP) routes using the maximum paths option. See the “Configuring Load Balancing in EIGRP” section.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

Ensure that you have enabled the EIGRP feature (see the “Enabling the EIGRP Feature” section).

SUMMARY STEPS

1. configure terminal

2. router eigrp instance-tag

3. address-family ipv4 unicast

4. maximum-paths num-paths

5. (Optional) copy running-config startup-config

DETAILED STEPS

Command
Purpose

Step 1

configure terminal

Example:

switch# configure terminal

switch(config)#

Enters configuration mode.

Step 2

router eigrp instance-tag

Example:

switch(config)# router eigrp Test1

switch(config-router)#

Creates a new EIGRP process with the configured instance tag. The instance tag can be any case-sensitive, alphanumeric string up to 20 characters.

If you configure an instance-tag that does not qualify as an AS number, you must use the autonomous-system command to configure the AS number explicitly or this EIGRP instance will remain in the shutdown state.

Step 3

address-family ipv4 unicast

Example:

switch(config-router)# address-family ipv4 unicast

switch(config-router-af)#

Enters the address-family configuration mode. This command is optional for IPv4.

Step 4

maximum-paths num-paths

Example:

switch(config-router-af)# maximum-paths 5

Sets the number of equal cost paths that EIGRP will accept in the route table. The range is from 1 to 16. The default is 8.

Step 5

copy running-config startup-config

Example:

switch(config-router-af)# copy running-config startup-config

(Optional) Saves this configuration change.

This example shows how to configure equal cost load balancing for EIGRP over IPv4 with a maximum of six equal cost paths:

switch# configure terminal

switch(config)# router eigrp Test1

switch(config-router)# maximum-paths 6

switch(config-router)# copy running-config startup-config

DETAILED STEPS

You can configure the following optional parameters for OSPFv2 in router configuration mode:

Command
Purpose

distance number

Example:

switch(config-router)# distance 25

Configures the administrative distance for this OSPFv2 instance. The range is from 1 to 255. The default is 110.

log-adjacency-changes [ detail ]

Example:

switch(config-router)# log-adjacency-changes

Generates a system message whenever a neighbor changes state.

maximum-paths path-number

Example:

switch(config-router)# maximum-paths 4

Configures the maximum number of equal OSPFv2 paths to a destination in the route table. This command is used for load balancing. The range is from 1 to 16. The default is 8.

I realized that ECMP is on per default - but i didn't find information about Hostroutes.

I only use OSPFv2, EIGRP isn't interesting for us.

Are you sure that this is only for the Cisco Nexus 3000 platform and irrelevant for the Nexus 5500 Platform?

I can only confirm what I have without going through the command syntax online for 5k , I checked 4 different types of 5ks there running2 sets of individual images and none of them have that syntax above that the 3k has

Okay, thanks a lot for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: