Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add Route Switch Processor 720 as Standby

Hello Dear,

I have a 7606 Router with single Route Switch Processor 720 at the chassi works as active RP ( Route Processor ). Can I add another RP to the chassis as standby incase of fialure of the first RP ?

your reply is much appreciated.

Regards,

Ahmed

34 Replies 34

Hello all ,

Any reply from cisco suppot team ?

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Yes, you are good in regards to memory. 1Gb everywhere.

---skipped - all good---

4. It will boot automatically or come up in ROMMON depending on the config-register on standby which you can check only after powering up the RSP. By default it is to 0x2102 which means check boot string and look at flash file system for image, then boot it.

sync is ROMMON level command that is used to match the SP and RP config-registers. It will not cause the boot loop if you set config-reg correctly.

5.    if the status is not standby, then go standby supervisor and confirm  that is running in rommon mode. You just connect to its console to verify. All the following steps are the same as step 4.

You can try manual boot fro ROMMON if automatic one fails: boot disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2

6. This step is meant to put the image at similar location on standby RSP as it is on active one (as the boot string would match and point to similar locations). In you case you should copy it from standby disk0 to standby bootdisk.

E.g.

copy slavedisk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin slavebootdisk:

7. If not required for specific purposes, the config-reg should be 0x2102. See this explanation on different values:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

8. The slavebootflash, slavebootdisk (or slave-supbootflash) and slavedisk0 are all 3 different flash chips. First 2 are internal, slavedisk0 is external. You can use all of them independently of each other.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Ivan,

i miss one thing, what is hte type of flash disk should be used ? module number ?

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

MEM-RSP720-CF512M or MEM-RSP720-CF1G.

Table 3-3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/Supervisor_Engine_and_Route_Switch_Processor_Guide/SupE03.html#wp1066445

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Dear,

I hope you doing well.

I faceed some problems during the operation:

1- when i execute ( show version | i image ) command..

show version | i image

System image file is "bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin"

but when i execute ( dir bootdisk: ) command.. image file is not there

so i execute ( copy disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin disk1 ) ... at active RSP

2- at Rommon mode of standby ... boot disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin

and execut shoe redundancy state and show module .. they tells ... the standby is hot .....but standby still at rommon ..so i jump to srandby and execute :

confreg 0x2102

sync

reset

same thing happened .. came back to rommon ...

3- when i was trying at standby RSP

copy disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin bootdisk:

copy command is not working ...

would you please advice me what to do ...

i am waiting for your reply ...

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Did you physically move the external flash disk from disk1 of active RSP to standby?

From the ROMMON of standby supervisor (connect on console) run the commands:

dir disk0:

dir disk1:

The, depending on which disk is actually showing the file, use the command:

boot disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin

or

boot disk1:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin

As for copy from active disk0 to standby flash file system, this does not work as standby is in ROMMON and not visible from active. And the file system bootdisk is the one on active supervisor, not standby.

Use "show file system" to see what file system you have available. Those on standby will have "standby" or "slave"prefixes.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello dear Ivan,

thank u again for your reply ...

1- yes i physically remove the flsh disk from disk1 of active and move it to disk0 of standby ( sure after copying the image file )

2- when i insert the standby RSP ... it comes up to rommon ... i did ( boot disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin ) ... the standby reload and back to rommon mode ...

3- do you meant that i should execute the copy command at active RSP  ?

-at ative RSP can i copy file from disko atr active to disko at standby ?

4- why it showing that system image at (

bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin" ) but infact it is at disk0 not bootdisk ?

please i need you to clarify that ...

thank you in advance for your commants

Regards,

Ahmed

Hello Ahmed,

You boot string is showing that system should boot from bootdisk, whihe is internal flash, on the motherboard. While disk0/1 is external flash card, inserted into the slot on the front panel.

See the internal flash location showed here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/qa_c67_457347.html

See the difference between internal and external explained here:

In the command-line-interface (CLI), you access internal flash memory asbootdisk (CF adapter) or bootflash (non-CF adatper). When you install a CF adapter on the Sup720, Sup32, or Sup2, bootflash becomes an alias to bootdisk.

External flash memoryā€”To store and run software images and configuration files or to serve as an input/output (I/O) device. You can install 64-MB, 128-MB, 256-MB, 512-MB, or 1 GB flash memory cards, or 1-GB MicroDrive card, in slots on the supervisor engine or RSP front panel. For information on using flash memory, see Using Flash Memory Cards.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Hardware_Guides/Supervisor_Engine_and_Route_Switch_Processor_Guide/SupE01_ps368_TSD_Products_Installation_Guide_Chapter.html

Please run this steps and send me the collected outputs (start saving outputs to file to do that and afterwards attach the collected log file to the post):

1. When connected to active supervisor, insert the external flash to disk1 slot and:

copy bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin disk1:

show file system

dir sup-bootdisk:

dir disk0:

dir disk1:

2. When connected to standby console (in ROMMON):

dir disk0:

dir disk1:

boot disk0:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin

or

boot disk1:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin

After it boots, run:

copy sup-bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservices-mz.122-33.SRB2.bin slavesup-bootdisk:

Do capture all console logs, as mentioned in the beginning. It will make it much easier to analyze if something goes wrong.

Kind Regards,

Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

thank you Ivan,,, it is done ,,,

welcome, Ahmed. Glad it is all fine now!

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Ivan ... thanks again .. and now i will start anoter topic ... i wish if you can help me in that ... topic is: upgrade 7606-S router IOS from ip advance services to ip advance services + SSH .... i am wondering which image shuld i choose ? 15.2(4)S or 12.2SRD8 ... base on what ? ... could you please advice me ....

Hello Ahmed,

For security features, use the image with "k9" in the file name, e.g. "s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.sxi7.bin". 

Choose on the cisco.com the image based on the supervisor you have installed. The download portal has hierierachical structure, so quite easy to find image compatible.

As for the choice between 15.2(4)S and 12.2SRD8, I can recommend only to check the compatibility with whatever you require in you network (functions) and you current HW:

1. Build a list of features you need and check their support in this images using feature navigator:

www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/FeatureNav/FN.pl

2. Check the minimum memory requirements - each file shows that before downloading.

3. Check the HW compatibility (sup + modules) with new release:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/15_0s/7600_hwd.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sr/release/notes/122SRrn.html

4. Check for Caveats:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sr/release/notes/122SRcavs2.html

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hello Ivan,

thank you for your fast response ...

Kindly find the attached file ...

just check it out and reply me back

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

As we see, both have the same memory requirements of 1Gb DRAM and 256Mb flash, so there is no difference here between both. RSP720 does have 1Gb of DRAM by default, so your RSP supports both images.

I do not much information if either is better in regards to stability. And for features support that you need in the network, do check the release notes (links are in previous post) and/or Feature Navigator.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Dear Ivan,

How are you ? i hope you doing well.

We have faced an Switchover in our 7606 router ( same one that we have installed Standby RSP last time ) for unknown reason.

SWO to standby than reboot back to active one.

Based on crash file:

Aug  1 21:45:13 UTC: %PFREDUN-SP-STDBY-6-ACTIVE: Initializing as ACTIVE processor

Aug  1 21:45:13 UTC: %FABRIC-SP-STDBY-5-FABRIC_MODULE_ACTIVE: The Switch Fabric Module in slot 5 became active.

Aug  1 21:45:14 UTC: %SYS-SP-STDBY-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

Aug  1 21:45:14 UTC: %OIR-SP-3-PWRCYCLE: Card in module 6, is being power-cycled (Switchover)

Aug  1 21:46:48 UTC: %PFREDUN-SP-6-ACTIVE: Standby initializing for SSO mode

Aug  1 21:46:49 UTC: %SYS-SP-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

Aug  1 21:46:52 UTC: %PFINIT-SP-5-CONFIG_SYNC: Sync'ing the startup configuration to the standby Router.

Aug  1 21:47:15 UTC: %FABRIC-SP-5-CLEAR_BLOCK: Clear block option is off for the fabric in slot 6.

Aug  1 21:47:15 UTC: %FABRIC-SP-5-FABRIC_MODULE_BACKUP: The Switch Fabric Module in slot 6 became standby

Aug  1 21:47:16 UTC: %DIAG-SP-6-RUN_MINIMUM: Module 6: Running Minimal Diagnostics...

Aug  1 21:47:20 UTC: %DIAG-SP-6-DIAG_OK: Module 6: Passed Online Diagnostics

Aug  1 21:47:20 UTC: %OIR-SP-6-INSCARD: Card inserted in slot 6, interfaces are now online

Aug  1 18:47:27.333: SP: SP detected RP/Draco rebooting, resetting SP

DHKC-R76-01#sh module

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1   24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP              WS-X6724-SFP       JAF1205BFJM

2    0  4-subslot SPA Interface Processor-200  7600-SIP-200       JAE12088TA8

5    2  Route Switch Processor 720 (Active)    RSP720-3C-GE       JAE12088VUP

6    2  Route Switch Processor 720 (Hot)       RSP720-3C-GE       SAL1551Z508

DHKC-R76-01#sh redundancy states

my state = 13 -ACTIVE

peer state = 8  -STANDBY HOT

Mode = Duplex

Unit = Primary

Unit ID = 5

Redundancy Mode (Operational) = sso