Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL Router

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears,

I have 12 branches with ISP provided ADSL router which has a small  RJ11 connector type from where it goes to ISP when it initiates a dial , Now i am planning to buy cisco router for creating easy vpn client to connect HO router (Easy VPN Server)

My question is ADSL is one pair cable connection if i cut the RJ11 connector and if i terminate one pair on RJ45 jack , and i will connect to the router Ethernet interface which will be a PPOE dialer interface configured, things will work like that ??? my concern here is the cabling of one pair connection on the RJ45 jack which will connect on router.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

If your isp is providing  ADSL, then you need to get a cisco router with ADSL module. You cannot connect to an ADSL network using ethernet interface.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

>> My question is ADSL is one pair cable connection if i cut the RJ11 connector and if i terminate one pair on RJ45 jack , and i will connect to the router Ethernet interface which will be a PPOE dialer interface configured,

No, this is not possible because ADSL signal is totally different from Ethernet, to terminate an RJ11 ADSL service you need a router with an ADSL interface that uses ATM over it.

it is not just a question of cabling, they are different technologies ADSL and Ethernet.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use still that ADSL Line terminate to Cisco 800 (model for example for VPN connection to HO)

example :

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/pppoenat.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear Balaji,

I don't need the configuration, I m confident on the configuration part, as mentioned earlier i m worried about the cabling part , if i terminate one pair on RJ45 jack instead of RJ11 things will work ???

For RJ11 interface it is an PPOA  and we specify PVC number on DSL  but on PPOE we dont specify any PVC number , so here i am confuse how things will work.

you can not simply cut the cable and install RJ45 cable. this will not work.

contact ISP provider and ask if they can give you Etherent output Preseneration insterad of RJ11, now day most of the are Ethernet presentation available.

if no option you need to get cisco 800 or higher one with ADSL compatability.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

If your isp is providing  ADSL, then you need to get a cisco router with ADSL module. You cannot connect to an ADSL network using ethernet interface.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Adam,

>> My question is ADSL is one pair cable connection if i cut the RJ11 connector and if i terminate one pair on RJ45 jack , and i will connect to the router Ethernet interface which will be a PPOE dialer interface configured,

No, this is not possible because ADSL signal is totally different from Ethernet, to terminate an RJ11 ADSL service you need a router with an ADSL interface that uses ATM over it.

it is not just a question of cabling, they are different technologies ADSL and Ethernet.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

+5 to you both,

can you put some shade for PPOE connection from Ethernet interface of the router which goes to ISP, what type of device is available on ISP end and how many pairs of connection it goes.to ISP.

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card