Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice required please

Hi all

I've been tasked with distributing broadband at my work place and have a few questions regarding what will work and what will not.

Another department have installed a 500mb BT broadband bearer within the WAN room, I have permission to use it. The other department are using the bearer to distribute Wi-Fi around the campus. unfortunately I am unable to deploy Wi-Fi in our areas due to security reasons.

The backbone connecting the WAN room to the LAN rooms is OM1 (presented ST either end). Their core switch has 1x 10gb port configured fro public use broadband. I attend to add another switch from this port to distribute to 9 LAN rooms.

Question... do I have to use a 10gb distribution switch within the LAN rooms? 10gb is not going to work over OM1 at the lengths I need (between 350-650m). I attend to use a copper switch within the LAN rooms to distribute over existing Cat5e horizontal infrastructure connected via a SFP port. even though 10gb isn't achievable over these lengths with OM1 will the switches still be able to communicate and the broadband work???

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Chris H

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Their core switch has 1x 10gb port configured fro public use broadband - Not sure i understand this statement?

Regards your query of Cat 5e,It wont work unless your closets are less then 10 0metres apart., So id stick with OM1 fibre.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Hello

You can always ask your ISP to configure a 1gb port and you should be good to go

Res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Hello

Their core switch has 1x 10gb port configured fro public use broadband - Not sure i understand this statement?

Regards your query of Cat 5e,It wont work unless your closets are less then 10 0metres apart., So id stick with OM1 fibre.

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. The core switch which the Wi-Fi network runs from has 1 spare 10gb port which I can use for my solution.

To clear up the Cat5e is the horizontal infrastructure to the desks. The backbone is OM1 which I will use. What I'm unsure of is what switches I require to link to each other over large distances using OM1.

Kind regards

Chris H   

Hello

depends on your requirements:

Will you be procuring for future designs or just for present day connectivity 

How many users

Do you require QOS , L3 functionality . Support for WLAN  aps  ( Poe ports)

traffic load BW requirements 

etc...

It could be that a basic 2960lc 24 port switch would be applicable

Have a look  here and see what would be best for you environment

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I'm procuring for present day and the switches do not need to be anything fancy, they just need to be able to distribute broadband from a WAN rooms to 5 LAN rooms.

My total users are between 30-40 in 5 buildings (no more that 15 in each building).

The switch you have mentioned would work fine in my LAN rooms. The part I don't understand is how these switches connect to the switch in the WAN room? I assume my copper distribution switches in the LAN rooms will have a SFP port which will connect to the switch in the WAN room over the OM1 backbone. 

The switch I connect to to get the broadband has a 10gb port configured. Will my new switch in the WAN room need to be 10gb & the 5 connecting switches in the LAN rooms require a 10gb SFP port??? If this is correct will the switches connect to each other over my OM1 backbone??

Thanks for your help.

Chris H

Hello

I may have mis-read this or not understood correctly.

To verify -
Acesss sw<-->Distribution sw <-->  Core sw <-->Wan router

The cable connectivity from your access closets to Core sw in WAN room is via OM1 mm fibre or capable of supporting it -  is this correct or are you using copper anywhere in between?

If your using copper at present where is it, if at the distribution closets, do these switches support SFP fibre modules

Can you possible post a topology diagram to clarify your actual setup..

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

I'm back in office tomorrow I can post an network schematic then. Sorry for the confusion, I'm quite new to this!

The broadband router and core switch are in place, everything else I will procure. I'm assuming my distribution switch will connect to my access switches via sfp port on the access switch.

the core switch has a 10gb port configured for my use. my plan was to install a distribution switch from this port and connected it to access switches via the OM1 backbone.

I will simplify with a schematic, hopefully!

I'm thinking I may need the ISP to configure a 1gb port on their core switch and procure 1gb switches because of the distances.

Thanks for your time.

Chris H

Hi Paul

Please see the attached. I hope this clears a few things up!

Kind regards

Chris H

Hello

Much clearer now thanks-

You have options depending on available funds and if you wish to implement resiliency and lastly if you have enough core fibre distribution pairs to accommodate, the only real issue is down to OM1 fibre distance limitation, which is around 350 -600 metres

For basic connectivity

Distribution:
1 x WS-C3750G-12S-S
1 x Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP ( copper connection to Core switch)
4 x GLC-T GLC-SX-MM SFP

Access-layer
4 x WS-C2960-24TC-L
4x GLC-SX-MM SFP

Cabling ( depending on your distribution fibre connectors )
8 x OM1 (62.5/125) LC -LC , or LC-ST
1 x CAT5e ( for connection between distribution and core switch, I am guessing this is copper connection)

For resiliency. You could use two WS-C3750G and utilise the stackwise feature to act as a virtual distribution switch and use two interconnects from each access switch up to this destribution stack, but that will incur much more costing.

Please note:

WS-C3750G-12S-S model switch(s) are no EOL and are not supported by Cisco anymore.

2690-24TC-L are now EOS and EOL in 2019

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks you have been a huge help.

The 10gb port on the core switch is via a SFP so this doesn't have to be copper.

If I use the Cisco 1000BASE-T SFP to connect to the core switch this is only a 1000BASE I don't understand how this connects to the 10gb port?

Thanks

Chris

Hello

What type of switch is your core switch, it could be applicable to use a 1G sfp in this port- ( copper or fibre)

Do you have any 1Gb ports availble if not

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

The core switch is a Cisco Catalyst 3850 24S. This switch has 4x 10gb ports 1 of which is configured for me to use.

There are 1gb ports spare but they haven't been configured.

Kind regards

Chris

Hello

You can always ask your ISP to configure a 1gb port and you should be good to go

Res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul you've been a massive help.

Kind regards

Chris H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card