cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow polling of Cisco switches

dpkelly999
Level 1
Level 1

I need my Cisco switches to be polled by Castlerock SNMP software. Currently the switches do not return any information, however, 3rd party active equipment can be polled by the same Castlerock SNMP software

My questions are:

1) What are the commands to allow my switches to be polled by the Castlerock SNMP sofware?

2) I have 2 switches: Catalyst 3650-24-TS-S and Catalyst 2960CX-8TC-L. What are the commands specific (if required) for these two switches?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to configure snmp configuration

https://www.manageengine.co.uk/products/oputils/enable-snmp-cisco-router.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

what do you have currently configured for SNMP on both switches ?

Below is a sample:

2960(config)# snmp-server community public
2960(config)# snmp-server enable traps
2960(config)# snmp-server host 192.168.1.1 version 2c public

With this, your CastleRock SNMP server (192.168.1.1 in this example) should be able to poll anything using the 'public' SNMP community. Obviously you want to use another community than that, for security reasons...

Hello

Basic snmp polling and sending of traps:

conf t

access-list 10 permit x.x.x.x <---caslterock host
snmp-server host x.x.x.x Private
snmp-server community Private rw 10
snmp-server enable traps

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The reason that you are able to poll other devices automatically is because they are using the default SNMP strings of public for read only access and private for read/write access.

your monitoring software has these default values built in.

To enable SNMP read-only access version 1 or 2 for you cisco gears see the following.

From the config#  prompt enter   snmp-server community mysnmp-password RO  [ replace  mysnmp-password with your customized password]

Cheers

****Rate All Helpful Posts****

P.Williams
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card