cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An 1841 or an 800 series to do failover?

insccisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 1841 doing failover. Primary connection is static DSL and secondary connection is cable. The router fails over smoothly to the cable connection every time dsl goes down. Then it goes back to normal once dsl is up again.

What I need is to be able to do the same thing BUT on a cheaper router, perhaps one of the 800 series routers.

Do you guys know of one that can do the same trick and that has at least 3 physical interfaces for this ? (one for primary, one for backup, and the other one for the inside network)

please advise

thanks

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

Cisco 800 series routers are fixed routers in which adding extra physical additional ethernet or other interface wont be possible.

You can make use of the ports which comes with the particular model..

But its the other way around with 1841 in which u have the liberty to play with the free slots available with the supported network modules based on your requirement.

regds

I see.

Is there any router less than the 1841 that can do this?

a 1700 series one? or a 1600 series?

THere has to be one with at least 3 physical interfaces or at least one empty slot.

I have seen the 1700s which are rack mountables ones and they come with 2 empty slots, but I don't know the prices on this ones.... could this be an option?

thanks

Hi.

If I may, can I inquire as to whether or not the failover on your 1841 fails between two OWNED IP blocks OR are the IPs received dynamic. I am having a problem on an 1841 when it fails from a T1 to a DSL line .. The router can ping but no devices behind it can ..

Thanks in advance.

My primary connection is a T1 (static) and my backup is a Cable (dynamic) connection

The problem you are having sounds familiar. During my testings phase, when the router failover to the cable, I couldn't ping anything on the outside. There was a line which the cisco tech told me to remove and it worked. I don't remember which line was it, but if you post your config, I will point it out to you

But going back to my question, can anyone recommend a router, other than the 1841, to do failover? I am looking for a lesser and less expensive router

please advise

thanks

hi

You can think off something in 1700 series router but since they are getting phased off and replaced by 1800 series routers.

But still u can lookout for cisco 1721 series routers which can be a best bet to your requirement.

for more info on the feature and the cards it supports do refer this link..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920ec.html

regds

Get a cisco 877. Use the DSL port for your DSL connection and then you have 4 fast ethernet ports. Make a specific VLAN for your cable connection and assign it to one of the 4 fastE ports. Works for me.

LD

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card