cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Another CSU/DSU thread

edkinj888
Level 1
Level 1

OK so first off I have not been to any cisco type of training school.  I'm sure the obvious answer is, "Well then go to one instead of asking all of us here then! =P

I have 2 cisco 2801's with CSU/DSU module in it.

I can interface the unit fine from the console port or by using the web based java enabled SDM 2.5 software.

I have setup the CSU/DSU using the console interface inputting:

ESF

B8ZS

NO (to fractional T-1)

no IP was configured into this serial device either.

I also have my FE 0/0 connection setup in Full duplex

Now, I have a homeade T1 crossover cable inputted into the CSU/DSU of each router.  There are no alarm lights on either CSU and the CD light is green.

Thus telling me my connection between the two units via the "T1" link is good.

I can ping the router that is attached to either computer via ethernet just fine, but I cannot ping the other router attached via the "T1" link or the other computer attached to the other router.

Something like this:

Computer 1 <----> FE 0/0 (Router 1) <--??--> CSU/DSU (1) <---->HOMEADE Crossover cable (w/pins 1,2 & 4,5 reversed on one end)  <----->CSU/DSU (2) <--??--> FE 0/0 (Router 2)<--->Computer 2

The question marks are there because I cannot ping computer 2 from computer 1 or vice versa.  How can I tell if I have good connectivity from my routers FE 0/0 port to the CSU/DSU of the same router?

I mean it's not like I can ping it right?

Just throw out ideas on what you think I might be able to do to resolve this if you guys get a chance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

20 Replies 20

Here you go.

Thanks.

I am not sure what we're looking for here. The interfaces are controllers are all up. here's the interface config

uration for Pajarito

interface Serial0/1/0

no ip address

bridge-group 1

!

here's the config for LDCC

interface Serial0/1/0

no ip address

Where are the ip addresses? Can we try something like this?

Pajarito

!

here's the config for LDCC

interface Serial0/1/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

interface Serial0/1/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no bridge-group 1

you want me to put ip addresses into the CSU/DSU's of either router which are 192.168.1.X

where X is:

1- for pajarito

and

2 - for LDCC?

You would know what ip address to use. What are you trying to accomplish here? The serial is just like any other link. Would work the same as Fa links.

I want to talk from one computer to another computer

eg:current computer IP addy is 147.117.43.32

second computer IP addy is 147.117.43.30

I want to ping computer 1 from computer 2

I am trying to enable a link from a 10000ft mountain with snow and ice at the top to a warm cozy building with hot chocolate.  So that when I have to come up here for an on call situation to reset something, I won't have to climb up a 10000ft MTN to do it.  I can jut do it through the ethernet connection that I have setup.

I want the dumbest easiest setup of a CSU/DSU module to talk through a standard ESF B8ZS T1 connection via the fast ethernet ports 0/0 on either router.

does that make sense?

O and btw you idea did change something as now instead of pinging and receiving REQUEST TIMED OUT I now get Destination host unreachable!

seems like we are getting closer.

Do not include bmp. Use putty, copy and paste directly here.

networking has its own rules, one is always use right tools and procedures, another is you often learn more reading and trying than asking others.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card