Views
Helpful
Replies

Applying Smart License to a device

colossus1611
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking to apply Smart License to few of our 3650 switches, and while I have gone through the Cisco documentation to follow the process (yes, doing it for the first time!), I didn't find any mention around any maintenance window requirement to apply this (if at all).

I hence just want to double check if applying Smart License will require device to reboot or not and if there could be any outage expected and henceforth done after business hours?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

I never had to reload a switch when applying smart licensing feature. However if there license level changes then you'll need to reboot or if you have a platform throughput change... But you haven't such features on your switch then normally no impact.
You know as tech is, sometimes without reason something goes differently than expected though i suggest you to start with a switch that hasn't any critical services attached.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Let's start first with the basic question: Is the switch running 16.9.X and later?
If no, then don't bother with Smart Licensing. Smart Licensing is only enforced in 16.9.X and later. Smart Licensing isn't supported with 16.8.X and earlier.
Next, Smart Licensing doesn't need a reboot. All it takes is to enter the token.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I never got downtime for switch license but again it is a luck. We never underestimate the power of IT as unplanned downtime. So we are planning this type of activity after the business hours or with a approved downtime. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: