Views
Helpful
Replies

AS-Path Filtering Under Route-map

jpl861
Level 4
Level 4

Hey Guys,

Not sure what I am missing here as I cannot test it from another platform other than the one I have right now but can someone help check why AS-Path filtering under route-map isn't working?

I am trying to filter out in this lab a network routes with AS-Path 2 4 3. Here's my route-map and AS-Path filter.

R1#sh ip as-path-access-list
AS path access list 10
permit _3_3$
AS path access list 11
deny 2 4 3$
AS path access list 12
permit 2 4 3$
AS path access list 13
deny 2 4 3$
permit .*

I am trying different combinations here that's why there are multiple AS-Path ACL

Here's the route-map. (just putting some space so it will be easier to read)

route-map BGP4R2 permit 10 -  Allow the prefix if prefix-list R2IN and AS-Path. Setting local preference to identify if the route is a match
match ip address prefix-list R2IN
match as-path 10
set local-preference 10

route-map BGP4R2 permit 15 - This one I am concerned about. I am trying to block AS_Path 2 4 3 using APACL 11 but appears not to be working. I just attached a local preference to see if this sequence is somewhat permitting the route for some reason
match as-path 11
set local-preference 15

route-map BGP4R2 permit 1000 - Just a catch all and set local preference to 1000
set local-preference 1000

Here's the BGP table after applying the route-map as inbound.

R1#show ip bgp | b Network
Network Next Hop Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*> 2.2.2.2/32 10.0.12.2 0 1000 0 2 i
*> 22.22.22.22/32 10.0.12.2 0 1000 0 2 4 3 i
R1#

I can still see 22.22.22.22/32 being received with a local-pref of 1000 with AS-Path 2 4 3. That means it didn't satisfy sequence 15 and moved to sequence 1000 where it was permitted.

I tried to reverse the logic by adding another route-map sequence.

route-map BGP4R2, deny, sequence 25
Match clauses:
as-path (as-path filter): 12
Set clauses:
Policy routing matches: 0 packets, 0 bytes

The above route-map worked.

I also tried to remove the inbound route-map under BGP and replaced it with filter-list in using APACL 13 just to see if there's anything wrong with the APACL and it successfully filtered out 22.22.22.22/32.

Any idea why sequence 15 is not working? Or it's just a limitation of BGP filters under route-map?

Thanks!

JL

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

20180605_033825.jpg

Here's the answer to my question.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hello,

here is the regular expression with a filter list:

neighbor 192.168.12.2 filter-list 11 in
!
ip as-path access-list 11 deny ^2_3_4$
ip as-path access-list 11 permit .*

I have tried that using AS-Path ACL 13 and it worked as expected.

I am trying to use a route-map permit and AS-Path deny combo to achieve the result. I wouldn't be ble to do .* for 11 as that would permit all routes and if I decide to add other sequence after it then it may not take effect.

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you need to use access-list 12 with the permit, the 11 has a deny instance for as-path 2 4 3$, which means it won't apply.

Hope this helps

But doesn't that mean to deny 2 4 3$ path?

When I tried filter-list 13 inbound and removed the route-map, it worked as expected. So how is it different with APACL 11 then? The reverese logic APACL 12 just worked fine.

I can’t test but I think when you have a permit route map statement and a deny in your acl it just moves it on to the next route map statement. 

Try using a deny route map statement and a permit in your acl. 

Jon

I will test it using a simple prefix-list and see the effect.

I have already tried your suggestion with that AS-Path 12 and it worked just fine.

I was just wondering what was the logic behind the route-map permit and matching with a deny statement combo.

The deny simply means to exclude the item from that instance. So it you wish to deny something using a route map, you permit it in the ACL, but then deny it in the instance in the route map.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah I figured that one out too just now. I used a simple prefix-list to see the effect and it was as expected.

So basically, what the router is doing is to exclude that prefix or AS-Path (in the original example) for that route-map sequence number only and take it to the next sequence of the route-map. It does not say block this route but rather take it away from this route-map sequence and continue. So yes, the correct way is to use a route-map deny sequence that says those matched permitted routes will be discarded.

R1#show route-map BGPINFILTER
route-map BGPINFILTER, permit, sequence 10
Match clauses:
ip address prefix-lists: bgp_filter
Set clauses:
local-preference 10
route-map BGPINFILTER, permit, sequence 1000
Match clauses:
Set clauses:
local-preference 1000

R1#sh ip prefix-list bgp_filter
ip prefix-list bgp_filter: 2 entries
seq 1 deny 222.222.222.222/32
seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32
R1#

20180605_033825.jpg

Here's the answer to my question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card