Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5506 Crashing

V1ctor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have two ASA's 5506 on different locations. Earlier in March they both started crashing unexpectedly, with a couple of hours difference, at least once a day. I thought it is because of the Intel Atom bug (both of the ASA's were V1, and i've read that from V3 and above Cisco has fixed the issue)

So i've ordered two new 5506 V4, and replaced them. All was fine for about 3 months and now they both have started to crash again. I will attach the crashinfo if someone can help debug that. The ASA version is 9.9(1), ASDM is 7.13 (1)

I thought of upgrading to the latest version (9.13 i think),but i will lose the firepower module since it is not supported in 9.10 and above. I also wanted to ask, will losing the firepower module have an impact on me? We use this ASA for Firewall (duh), S2S tunneling, VPN (Anyconnect)

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please read the following:

Scroll down to the "Exploitation and Public Announcements" section where it specifically states:  

Cisco Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) became aware of additional attempted exploitation of this vulnerability in the wild.

Thanks.

Updating firmware won't help in this case?

@V1ctor wrote:

Updating firmware won't help in this case?

And why not?   Did anyone made any attempt to read at least one of the security bulletins I've posted?

When exploited, CVE-2018-0101 &/or CVE-2018-0296 can cause the appliances to crash/reboot.  

You're not the first, nor will be the last, I have posted these security bulletins.  This is, perhaps, the 5th thread I've seen (in this forum).

Thank you. Will try to patch it then. However will losing the firepower module affect me?

If this is true "We use this ASA for Firewall (duh), S2S tunneling, VPN (Anyconnect)"  then I do not see that losing the firepower module would impact you.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card