cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - QoS with Cisco expert Sarala Akella

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome  to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an  opportunity to learn about configuration and troubleshooting Quality of  Service on routers with Cisco expert Sarala Akella. Sarala is  a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center.  She currently works in the WAN team where she focuses on various WAN  related issues along with QoS issues on various interfaces. Sarala has  been with Cisco for 11 years and has worked as a software engineer in  the Network Software and Systems Technology Group. She holds a masters  degree in computer engineering from Santa Clara University and a masters  degree in mathematics from Osmania University, India.

Remember to use the rating system to let Sarala know if you have received an adequate response.

Sarala  might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected  during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on  the WAN, Routing and Switching discussion forum shortly after the event.  This event lasts through April 8, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

45 Replies 45

network770
Level 1
Level 1

HI, I am new to the world of QoS and I would like to set this up:

between 2 to 5 x C3570 --> C2821--> ASA5510 --> Internet

On the C3750 each port represents a different client whereby default they get 2MG to the Internet and depending on their requirements it can go up to 5MG.  Our customers will bring in their own switch\hub and which will be connected to a port on the 3750.

How do I limit each port (or vlan) to a specific bandwidth allocation?

Should this be done on the 3750 on the given customer port or on the C2821?

Is there a way to create a policy that grants specific bandwidth and then associate a vlan or a segment to this policy depending on the requirements?

Hello Ronni,

Welcome to the QoS world :-)

enddevices--- (a)---->switchs(b)-----(c)->router-(d)->Wan interface to internet-- (Firewall)---->>>

Qos should be always applied closure to the source in the outging direction.

So we should start applying traffic control starting from switches.

We need QoS in the  applied in all the points

(a) We want to control(police) traffic in coming into switch  (Optional)
(b) Make sure the dscp settings are trusted and bandwidth is applied.
(c) This is typically used  for marking traffic coming into the router.(Optional)
(d) QoS is very much needed here so that we can match traffic as per the provider.

Search for "Overview of Policers" and you will find that section has
information pertaining to Shaping.

Below I am adding a simplified example:

mls qos
!--- This enables QoS.

access-list 111 permit ip any any
!--- This defines the ACL to select traffic. All IP traffic is subject to
policing.

class-map match-all cl_in
match access-group 111
!--- This defines the traffic class to police.

policy-map pol_in
class cl_in
police 100000 3000 3000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

interface Po1
service-policy in pol_in

Here is a good document on  QoS over switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

Here is a good document on applying Qos on routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094af9.shtml

answer to your questions:

How do I limit each port (or vlan) to a specific bandwidth allocation?
answer By policing as shown above.

Should this be done on the 3750 on the given customer port or on the C2821?
preferbly on both ends documents for switch and router are provided above.

Please feel free to post any questions you have for QoS

For some reason I am unable to access this link:

QoS for switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

can you please check that you got the right URL or attached the actual file.  Does this link apply to all switches (3750, 3560,etc)?

How is all this different than auto QoS?

thanks

mbroberson1
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Sarala,

Great ASK THE EXPERTS topic. I have been wating for a QoS ATE for sometime now.

My question:

With regard to traffic policing on an ethernet subinterface what is the best approach for determining the optimal burst setting for a policed traffic class? I know that with CBWFQ on an ethernet subinterface you must shape the traffic (for the amount of the circuit cir) with a parent policy then apply a child policy that is attached to the QoS class-maps desired.

Say you have a 20MB WAN circuit from the provider and you would like to police say 5MB of traffic and the traffic is web http. Are the default burst typically ok? You would like to ensure that the policed traffic class is getting it's full allotted 5MB.

Regards,

Brandon

Hello Brandon,

Good question :-)  The default burst size is calculated for 1/8th of the policed rate of traffic.

For the guaranteed bandwidth of 40,000 bps, it is equial to 8,000 bits or 1,000 bytes.

It is  always a good idea to leave the burst size to be caluclated by the IOS,

which will use the inbuilt alogirithrm which is approxmitaely 1/8 of the policed rate.

also please note there little variation due  card specific burst size changes.

Also this document talks about configuring bursts sizes  for shaping with respect to different WAN interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk39/tk53/technologies_tech_note09186a00800c83b3.shtml

For the benifit of the other readers I am adding

the link to a  document to configure QoS on subinterfaces

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a0080114326.shtml

Best regards

-Sarala

jwarner
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a computer attached to a Catalyst 6500 port on a 6148A-GE-TX card.  The port speed is Gig-E and the application is bulk TCP transport of large scientific data sets over WAN networks -- all 10 Gig-E from a 10 Gig-E sender.

I want to minimize packet drops due to output port congestion. My Catalyst 6500 is the point of the speed step, and so data can arrive faster (10 Gig) than it can be pushed out (1 Gig).  If I set the max TCP window to match the output port buffer, it won't go very fast.

This 6500 has QoS turned on at the global level so I'm asuming that the interface 'hold-queue xx out' command is knob not connected to any mechanism (right?).  I want config lines that assign as much buffer memory as possible to the 'best effort' queue and get hard tail drop behavior.  There is only one flow at a time (i.e. mine) and sharing with WRR or RED doesn't seem like it would be useful.

Thx -jim warner, UCSC

To control drops you can use hold-queue or queue-limit

Hold-queue:

-------------------
Output drops are caused by a congested interface. 
The ultimate solution to resolve the problem is to increase the line speed.
However, there are ways to prevent, decrease, or control output drops
when you do not want to increase the line speed.
You can prevent output drops only if output drops are a consequence of short bursts of data.
If output drops are caused by a constant high-rate flow, you cannot prevent the drops.
However, you can control them.

When packets are processed, they are sent to the output queue of the outgoing interface.

queue-limit:

------------------
The layer-3 queue always has a queue limit. This value defines the number of packets inside the queue.
When this queue fills, the router initiates a drop policy.
This policy can be tail drop or Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED).
In other words, the queue limit defines how many packets can be stored in the layer-3 queue
before drops start to occur.

The router automatically assigns a default queue-limit value.
The calculated value varies with the queueing method and with the platform. Importantly,
the queue limit needs to be small enough to avoid introducing latency due to queueing,
but large enough to avoid drops and a resulting impact to TCP-based flows.

The queue-limit command applies only to classes configured with Class-Based,
Weighted Fair Queuing (CBWFQ) using the bandwidth command.

The default queue-limit value varies with the platform

Note: If you  increase the output queue in an attempt to prevent output drops.
If packets stay too long in the output queue, TCP timers can expire and trigger retransmission.
Retransmitted packets only congest the outgoing interface even more.

If output drops still occur after you adjust the configuration of the router as recommended,
it means that you cannot prevent or decrease output drops. However, you can control them,
and this can be as effective as prevention.
I would Suggest to increase the hold-queue and queue-limit in little increments and monitor how its effect the drops.

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

Sarala,

Can you tell me what is the most up to date QOS design guide that we should be using?  I have seen the following:

QOS SRND 3.3

Telepresence SRND

MediaNet QOS SRND 4.1

The Telepresence SRND seems to have disappeared and MediaNet SRND appeared.  All of the guides differ somewhat in the details of QOS best practices.  Which one is Cisco presenting as the "real" best practice guide?

Thanks,

Steven

Hello Steven,

Good question, But typical Cisco Answer :-)

It depends! I would suggest to pick the best practices  for the application you are using.
Also choose the version that is the latest and  closer to the application version.

Best regard

Sarala, thanks for the response but can you elaborate any further?  Let's say for example I'm deploying CUCM 8.5 on a LAN with all 3750 switches and 7942 phones.  Which would be the appropriate guide?

Thanks

hello.

im trying to configure a eagle server, i got the  image software from internet i mounted it to get the computer belives  that it is a cd, im not really get to install it. could you help how can  i get it plis.?  hugo_rosario@hotmail.es

Dom Rep.

Hello,

This disscussion is specfic to QoS on router. Please post other questions on the support commuity discussion.

Best Regards

-Sarala

Since  We have   Cisco phones on the 3750,  auto-qos would be a quick start:

As the cisco phones will be sending voice packets marked as EF.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1231112

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card