Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001-X power module

jigojar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Genius,

Can we use AC and DC power module in the same chassis. i want to both in the mixed form.

cisco recommended, don't use the both the power module in same chassis. here i want to know why we are advised to do not use both power module. what is cause i will face if i am using both power feed.

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Cisco ASR 1001-X Router can support two AC or two DC power supplies.
Do not install mixed AC and DC power supply units in the same chassis.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/asr1hig-book_chapter_011.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

Power Supplies for the Cisco ASR 1001-X Router

Each Cisco ASR 1001-X Router power supply provides 250 W of output power. The power supplies are used in a 1 + 1 redundant configuration. There is no input switch on the faceplate of the power supplies. A power supply is switched from Standby to On by way of a system chassis STANDBY/ON switch. When facing the rear of the chassis, power supply slot 0 (PS0) is to the left (next to the power supply standby switch) and power supply slot 1(PS1) is to the right.

The Cisco ASR 1001-X Router supports the following power supplies:

• Cisco ASR 1001-X Router AC power supply—Provides 250 W output power with DC voltage output of +12 V. The AC power supply operates between +85 and +264 VAC. The AC power supply current shares on the 12 V output and is used in a dual hot pluggable configuration.
  • Cisco ASR 1001-X Router DC power supply—Provides 242 W output power with DC voltage output of +12 V. The power supply operates between –40 and –72 VDC. The DC power supply current shares on the 12 V output and is used in a dual hot-pluggable configuration.
Note
The Cisco ASR 1001-X Router can support two AC or two DC power supplies. Do not install mixed AC and DC power supply units in the same chassis.

The following figure shows both the DC and AC power supplies for the Cisco ASR 1001-X Router.

Figure 1. Cisco ASR 1001-X Router DC Power Supply and AC Power Supply

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001-x/asr1hig-book/suportd_hw_component.html

BR

Tayyab

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Hi,

Why we are not suppose use mixed AC and DC power supply units in the same chassis. What is the reason behind this.

Hi,

I didn't see anywhere written don't mix both AC/DC on the same box, if it is not mentioned in Cisco Doc you can use both simultaneously. 

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Tayyab,

in cisco document its clearly mentioned dont use both AC and DC.

Its probably design Guidelines when Cisco making product as per standard i guess.

there is other alternative like your situation we had one of the site customer looking DC and AC inputs.

This is not standard setup, but we have done this for one time.

Both PSU are AC, one of the feed from AC, no issue, another Feed was DC, so we have converter DC to AC (this is not best practice but it worked)

hope this make sense ?

BB

Hi,

what will happen if i am using both power source? can you pls share me the board design document in terms of power.

This is not board

you get DC to AC converters in the market. i cant remember the product code to be honestly it was one time solution long time back, since it was industrial area where they deploying this kind of environment.

look the below site may help you :

http://www.allpsu.co.uk/

BB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card